We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair or air lingus

Buffalo, New York
Level Contributor
608 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
Ryanair or air lingus

In august I'm interested in taking Ryanair or aer Lingus. Both are cheap but I'm wondering If I should just go with The more expensive air lingus.. Lingus probably won't hastle me about my small backpack. What do you think? Also lingus goes into Heathrow which might be a lot easier than 1 of the outside airports that Ryanair arrives in... I worry about the budget airline just lowering the boom on you And hitting you hard for baggage Including Making you wait for your baggage to come out

31 replies to this topic
Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Cambodia, Burundi, Malawi, Rwanda
Level Contributor
14,063 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Ryanair or air lingus

Only you can judge if the benefits of flying with Airlingus are with the extra cost

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,939 posts
10 reviews
18 helpful votes
2. Re: Ryanair or air lingus

You won't get any hassle if your backpack meets the criteria if it doesn't then pay for it simple.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,240 posts
143 reviews
175 helpful votes
3. Re: Ryanair or air lingus

If an airline flies to Heathrow, I’d take that rather flying to Stansted. The cost of getting from Stansted to London (if that’s where you’re headed) can be as much as the airfare. And there’s the time element.

And if you conform to baggage rules, no airline will hassle you.

London, United...
Level Contributor
7,234 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Ryanair or air lingus

What do you mean by an airline 'lowering the boom'? Ryanair has very strict luggage rules but it is also one of the most reliable airlines in Europe.

ireland
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
65 reviews
48 helpful votes
5. Re: Ryanair or air lingus

With Aer Lingus you can check in a small bag, which is really handy for bringing liquids ie. toiletries included in the fare.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
31,304 posts
22 reviews
20 helpful votes
6. Re: Ryanair or air lingus

I’m finding your post quite hard to understand.

I don’t know what you mean about lowering the boom nor the making you wait for baggage to come out. If you choose to check baggage, it the airport baggage handlers that deal with that not the airlines.

You don’t say where you are travelling from but presume to somewhere in London. Only you know where yu will be staying and how much luggage you will have with you.

Both airlines publish their included baggage. Ryanair only a small personal item if you buy the cheapest fare. Work out what the total cost will be to bring what luggage you intend to bring. Add on travel costs to wherever it is you want to get i o. Now compare total cost and also travel time. Pick the one that is best for what you want.

I certainly wouldn’t be picking on base fare alone especially if you know your backpack exceeds the personal item size. Expect airlines to enforce their rules and comply. then there won’t be any nasty surprises.

I’m not a fan of Ryanair but they do exactly what they say they do. No ambiguity in their rules at all. If you keep to them, they will get you to where you need to be. They are not the airline to gamble being treated as someone special that the rules don’t apply to.

London, United...
Level Contributor
24,375 posts
431 reviews
168 helpful votes
7. Re: Ryanair or air lingus

The choice is yours, but i suspect you've already made it

Albany, New York
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,229 posts
117 reviews
51 helpful votes
8. Re: Ryanair or air lingus

"Lingus probably won't hastle me about my small backpack."

Neither airline will "hassle" you if you are within the baggage/carry-on allowance of the ticket that you have.

" And hitting you hard for baggage "

All the baggage costs should be known ahead of time and factored into your decision to purchase.

"Including Making you wait for your baggage to come out"

I don't think it's the airline really making you wait for your luggage but whatever the luggage delivery system of the airport is.

London, United...
Level Contributor
3,198 posts
200 reviews
64 helpful votes
9. Re: Ryanair or air lingus

Aer Lingus flies to 1 London Airport, Ryanair fly to 3.

If heading to London I would use Gatwick / Luton first before even considering Heathrow because of delays, walking to get to transport.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
8,907 posts
212 reviews
91 helpful votes
10. Re: Ryanair or air lingus

@Anonmyminster_Surrey

Actually EI will be back at LGW soon having only recently pulled out and having disrupted many existing LGW-DUB-LGW flyers (who were then offered LHR).

This reincarnation for Aer Lingus (and BA code share) will be operated by Emerald Airlines on an ATR72. Starts 20 May and runs through to 29 September.

All seems a little bizarre to have pulled out of LGW (and lost all the connecting via DUB traffic to the USA), then a few months later to return with ATR's. Further that it is only due to run until 29 September. Possible slot guarding I guess?

Reply to: Ryanair or air lingus
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.