We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confirmed a Seat?

CK
Washington DC...
13 posts
Confirmed a Seat?

So I a few days back booked a flight through AA for British Airways operated flight. My status is Ticketed and all but I'm just curious. I've heard of flights being overbooked and like the flight is a good few months away but if I'm ticketed does it mean I'm for sure confirmed a seat?

I'm new to all this and am figuring it out on my own so I'm just trying to make sure everything goes OK for my first flight and stuff.

9 replies to this topic
San Diego...
Level Contributor
45,895 posts
1. Re: Confirmed a Seat?

Unless you booked a basic economy fare that doesn’t allow you to select a seat until check in, you should be able to go to the BA website or use their app and select a seat. You’ll need the BA confirmation number.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,240 posts
143 reviews
175 helpful votes
2. Re: Confirmed a Seat?

Yes, you have a confirmed reservation. You can’t have an e-ticket otherwise.

But that does not guarantee being offloaded in an overbooking situation. But how often does that happen? Usually the airline asks for volunteers who don’t mind being offloaded.

Not worth worrying about, you can’t control what happens & nothing you can do will prevent it. Booking a specific seat number isn’t helpful either.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
71,489 posts
11 reviews
89 helpful votes
3. Re: Confirmed a Seat?

'I've heard of flights being overbooked' Many carriers overbook with the knowledge that travellers' plans will change, some may not travel and some will miss a connection.

The chances of you being denied boarding due to overbooking are very small; I've never had it hapen in 40+ years of air travel, much of that with BA. Selecting a seat now may not mean you'll have that seat on departure day as airframe changes and the need to accommodate other pax in the same cabin can mean your seat assisgnment may change. The carriers' terms and conditions are likely to include language along the lines of 'no seats are guaranteed' and this can hold whether travelling in First or Basic Economy.

Without knowing where you plan to go or when, one way to indicate your intention to travel is check in on line as soon as it's available.

If you have other questions it's useful for other forum members if you include the carrier and origin and destination cities as that can provide better answers rather than us guessing where you want to go and when.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Cambodia, Burundi, Malawi, Rwanda
Level Contributor
14,063 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Confirmed a Seat?

More likely than overbooking being a problem might be change of equipment to a smaller plane.

In the very unlikely event of overbooking or equipment change you will be flown to your destination don’t worry unless you are arriving a couple of hours before departing on a cruise or some other time critical event

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
29 reviews
25 helpful votes
5. Re: Confirmed a Seat?

“Unless you booked a basic economy fare that doesn’t allow you to select a seat until check in, you should be able to go to the BA website or use their app and select a seat. You’ll need the BA confirmation number.”

—-

Just to note that on BA, you have to pay to select seats in advance of check-in opening, unless you have free seat selection privileges via airline status or some other means. Selecting a seat in any case offers no additional protection against the effects of overbooking should that occur. What can help with BA is checking in as early as possible once online check-in opens for the flight.

More generally for the OP, a ticketed booking with AA is as confirmed as any booking can be, there is always a (usually fairly low) risk of a flight ending up oversold. I don’t know if this will make you feel better or worse, but airlines overbook most flights to some degree, knowing that there will be late cancellations etc that mean in the end there will be enough seats. They have a lot of experience of this, it’s not often necessary to offload passengers, they will look for volunteers and/or upgrade some passengers to clear space.

Also to note that if the flight is operated by BA, you will have the additional protections offered by the “UK261” regulation. This won’t necessarily prevent offloading passengers of a flight is genuinely oversold on the day, but it offers clear legal rights and protections regarding rebooking, due of care (food/accommodation if needed) and compensation, if applicable. It also covers your rights in the events of flight delay/cancellation.

I honestly wouldn’t worry too much about this, you have a confirmed and ticketed booking. The chances of being offloaded are pretty low, just check in as early as you can online and enjoy your trip.

Edited: 21 April 2024, 20:28
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
31,304 posts
22 reviews
20 helpful votes
6. Re: Confirmed a Seat?

Being a U.K./EU carrier, BA’s flights come under U.K./EU261 protection. Whilst this doesn’t guarantee you won’t have an IDB, it is less likely that they oversell as much as US carriers do. Far more likely to happen if their is an equipment change as already mentioned.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
45,895 posts
7. Re: Confirmed a Seat?

“Selecting a seat in any case offers no additional protection against the effects of overbooking should that occur.”

I take 75-100 flights a year for many years and have never had my seat taken from me because of overbooking, so I think that probably nothing anyone should even give 1 second of thought to prior to a flight. I have also never waited until check in to have my seat assigned, I would pay for one if that’s what’s required. Southworst airlines bring the exception because they don’t have assigned seats.

Albuquerque, New...
Destination Expert
for Spain, Tudela
Level Contributor
5,256 posts
54 reviews
18 helpful votes
8. Re: Confirmed a Seat?

We had a code share flight booked Premiun Economy via AA for an Iberia flight. Iberia changed equipment to a plane with no PE and we lost the seats we had paid $64 to book. In the end web switched to an AA flight for which you don’t pay to reserve seats.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Cambodia, Burundi, Malawi, Rwanda
Level Contributor
14,063 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
9. Re: Confirmed a Seat?

#7 on several occasions when I was a regular with EVA I was asked to move to business class because economy was over booked so someone got upgraded to premium economy and I got upgraded to business. I was more than happy with this arrangement

Reply to: Confirmed a Seat?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.