We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Would this happen with a codesharing flight?

Level Contributor
136 posts
5 reviews
Would this happen with a codesharing flight?

So just today I had to book DIRECTLY with Qatar airways due to some BS with Jetblue. So what happened is I originally booked a "codeshare" ticket with Jetblue. I normally don't do this but it was VERY enticing due to how much money I would save. And I would be flying with Qatar and not Jetblue. So why not? My Uganda(and Rwanda) trip is in August(and so luckily I caught this in time), but just yesterday I found out that my Uganda round trip from Doha and vice versa was REMOVED from the itinerary and thus only a JFK to Doha. When I looked on the Qatar airways website they still had that flight.... I called Jetblue and they said something about Jetblue codesharing no longer offering that route and that they couldn't restore the ticket. They offered me a full refund but I had to pay MORE to book with Qatar.

So my question is... How common is this? And is this a good reason to AVOID codesharing tickets? Hopefully this doesn't(it SHOULDN'T!) happen with the official QR tickets because QR airways officially flies to Uganda... But I never seen this happen before. And pray my Uganda flight from Doha doesn't get removed from this ticket...

9 replies to this topic
California
Level Contributor
75,202 posts
1,870 reviews
472 helpful votes
1. Re: Would this happen with a codesharing flight?

Alliances end all the time. If that is what happened then this can be the result. You might want to repost on Flyertalk where folks know more about these relationships. I would skip the CAPITALS and just stick to dates and flights info and questions.

Level Contributor
136 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Would this happen with a codesharing flight?

@Northern_Traveler00

Thanks for the advice and response. Yea when I put in the travel dates(month of August) for Uganda on Jetblue website they no longer show up. But they obviously still show up on Qatar's booking.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,240 posts
143 reviews
175 helpful votes
3. Re: Would this happen with a codesharing flight?

JetBlue isn’t part of any alliance but they do codeshare with various carriers & codeshare agreements do sometimes come to an end but not so often that it’s a reason to not book them. And they interline with many other carriers.

But as you prefer booking direct, you are not able to avail yourself of interline agreements between airlines.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Cambodia, Burundi, Malawi, Rwanda
Level Contributor
14,063 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: Would this happen with a codesharing flight?

I always aim to book with the airline or group I am flying with. What does surprise me is when such a code share gets withdrawn they don’t honour existing bookings

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
21,377 posts
41 reviews
59 helpful votes
5. Re: Would this happen with a codesharing flight?

Could you give a bitmore details, please?

Route, date and flight numbers would be great.

Level Contributor
136 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Would this happen with a codesharing flight?

^^^August 4th to 21st. JFK>Doha>Entebbe.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
29 reviews
25 helpful votes
7. Re: Would this happen with a codesharing flight?

To answer your original question, codeshare routes can of course end, which adds an extra element of risk. However, it’s less usual for them to be stopped this close to the travel date, these things are normally planned and announced well in advance of travel dates (the sudden end of the JetBlue/AA agreement was different, since it was forced by a court ruling).

The JetBlue (B6) agreement with Qatar Airways (QR) has not stopped, but this route seems to be (still being sold for May bookings, but not August). I notice from the QR site that in August the Doha-Entebbe sector is being operated by Oman Air for QR, and I wonder if that’s the reason for the B6 codeshare no longer happening on the route, because there is a third carrier involved and B6 may not have a relationship with Oman Air. Such cases aren’t that common but they do happen.

As for the consequences when this happens, it really depends on the law where the ticket originates. If your itinerary started, for example, in London or Paris rather than JFK, B6 would be obliged by law to offer you the choice (your choice) of rebooking with another flight/routing/airline or refund, under the protection of UK/EC261 legislation. As the US (to my knowledge) has no such legislation to protect consumers, you are at the mercy of JetBlue’s policy. If their policy is just to refund and you’re on your own, there’s not a lot you can do.

Edited: 22 April 2024, 04:56
Level Contributor
136 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Would this happen with a codesharing flight?

@SW17

Thank you so much for the elaborative answer. And when I first called they tried restoring flight but couldn't their reason again being codesharing route no longer being avilable. I got in contact with Jetblue again and they again said the route to Entebbe they no longer have relationships with Qatar for it and don't know if it'll ever return. And I too seen Oman airways. In fact back in February I flew with Oman to Dar es Salaam under Qatar because I booked with Qatar.

Planet Insectia
Level Contributor
5,599 posts
578 reviews
216 helpful votes
9. Re: Would this happen with a codesharing flight?

There's not much protection anywhere if the cancellation is before 14 days of flight departure.

Reply to: Would this happen with a codesharing flight?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.