We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etihad cancel coach - options?

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
248 posts
33 reviews
14 helpful votes
Etihad cancel coach - options?

Hi. I booked a trip for me and family (5 of us) to Kuala Lumpur. I searched from BHX and Etihad came up with a good price. They don’t fly from BHX but offer a coach service from Birmingham to LHR. This suited us really well as it was all part of the same booking (booked directly with Etihad) and it meant no airport parking in LHR. I booked our flights (BHX to LHR to AUH to KUL) and we are due to travel in August this year.

Today, Etihad sent an email advising operational change. When I called them they said the coach from BHX has been cancelled. So I asked them for options, firstly they said possibly fly from BHX to CDG or AMS and then onto AUH. I was happy with this and said yes please. 15 minutes later she said computer won’t let me change.

Now they have given me two options

1. Make my own way to LHR which means extra cost for me such as fuel and airport parking charges for three weeks

2. Cancel flights and get a refund - which I don’t want to do as new flights are a lot more expensive plus I have booked and paid for flights plus hotel in Singapore which are all non refundable

Could someone please advise what my rights are?

I don’t mind flying from BHX to AMS or CDG or if they can give me a free upgrade then happy to pay for fuel and parking at LHR

43 replies to this topic
Edinburgh, Scotland
Level Contributor
11,806 posts
1. Re: Etihad cancel coach - options?

Do *not* take a refund, they'll probably push you that direction.

The UK adopted EU261, now UK261, and that lays out your rights in detail. Etihad know they are bound by these regulations.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/eur/2004/261/adopted

Part 1) You will not be due compensation as you have more than 14 days notice.

Part 2) You have a ticket BHX-KUL, a contract, they are required to honour that journey. The routing may be differrent, or different airlines, but they are duty bound to take you from BHX to KUL. If you *must* make your own way to LHR you are entitled to be re-imbursed the costs - but I would avoid that option if at all poss.

Next move :- search for yourself various flight options from BHX-KUL on your date, note them down in your preferred order, contact Etihad again and make it plain - They *WILL* be taking you from BHX to KUL on their flights or someone elses as per UK261.

Send a link to the rules if you can.

If you take a refund that lets them off the hook - out of the contract.

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Cambodia, Burundi, Malawi, Rwanda
Level Contributor
14,063 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
2. Re: Etihad cancel coach - options?

Free upgrade good luck with that

Thailand
Level Contributor
23,836 posts
4 reviews
8 helpful votes
3. Re: Etihad cancel coach - options?

Finding five seats, maybe a bit challenging for the call center staff, as lots of families travel during summer and August always seems very busy when I have been in Europe.

As suggested in #1, do your own research on flight options from BHX to KUL (or are you actually going to SIN?). And make sure to search for five seats, not just one, as that makes a huge difference as to which are actually viable replacements. Then armed with preferred flights that have at least five spaces, call Etihad about changing to those flights.

In the event of no flying options, a free upgrade for 5 won't happen, at best extra frequent flyer points or perhaps reimbursement of gas and parking fees or whatever the UK Nanny laws dictate for cash compensation.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Holiday Travel
Level Contributor
8,907 posts
212 reviews
91 helpful votes
4. Re: Etihad cancel coach - options?

There are multiple options for public transport between BHX and LHR. Find the best that suits you. I suspect EH will then reimburse reasonable costs.

Forget ideals of free upgrades in this situation. That’s not going to happen.

Imus, Philippines
Level Contributor
15,538 posts
6 reviews
44 helpful votes
5. Re: Etihad cancel coach - options?

The only way to get upgrades with EY. is to bid if one one is given the opportunity to do so, when OLCI opens. Other than that, one needs at least Gold FF ststus with Etihad and cross every appendage.

Edited: 20 April 2024, 18:20
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
248 posts
33 reviews
14 helpful votes
6. Re: Etihad cancel coach - options?

@Jackbossbob Thank you for this advice. I will call them again and put this to them. Like you said, cancellation is not an option as new flights would cost me double

My original plan was to fly to Kuala Lumpur and I have booked a hotel for a night in the airport. I have booked return flights to Singapore with four nights hotel there. Then fly back to KUL and spend 12 nights there before returning to UK

London, United...
Level Contributor
24,375 posts
431 reviews
168 helpful votes
7. Re: Etihad cancel coach - options?

Can you not take a train to London and on to Heathrow?

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
18,018 posts
141 reviews
95 helpful votes
8. Re: Etihad cancel coach - options?

Why not just take National Express bus from Birmingham to LHR , a non stop service, which runs regularly during the day. Then charge Ethiad.

Surely much easier than any other options.

Imus, Philippines
Level Contributor
15,538 posts
6 reviews
44 helpful votes
9. Re: Etihad cancel coach - options?

According to this the Etihad coach to LHR is the National Express service from Birmingham?

https://www.etihadhub.com/content/dam/eag/etihadairways/etihadhub/assets/documents/product/rail-and-fly-v3.pdf

https://www.accesrail.com/products/national-express/

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
248 posts
33 reviews
14 helpful votes
10. Re: Etihad cancel coach - options?

Yes, that’s what we were booked on. But national express have cancelled the coach service with Etihad now so Etihad are saying either cancel for refund or catch flight from LHR at my expense. This will be fuel cost and three weeks parking at LHR

Ticket I booked direct with Etihad was from BHX to KUL - coach to LHR, connecting flights to KUL so my contract with Etihad is from BHX to KUL and return

Reply to: Etihad cancel coach - options?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.