We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow T3 with sprained ankle!

Swansea, United...
4 posts
Heathrow T3 with sprained ankle!

Well folks I'm off on my annual holiday again from LHR to PHX BA, 2K this time, which means it's feet elevated all the way on the powerbird.

I would like to thank you for assisting me last year which departed LHR T5 - your help was invaluable to this solo flyer.

This time I depart from T3 and haven't a clue how to map this out, from central bus station to T3 departures - I need to find BA club check in (I think G) and lounge F then departures gate, my big question is the distance of walking from the moment I step off the National Express because I've sprained my ankle and I'm very nervous !!! Looking at yesterday's flight on Flight aware, LHR - PHX departed from gate 32 and that to hell of a way from zone F where I will be chilling in the BA lounge.

Of course my gate will change when I fly. So, the question is how much walking will I have to do from the moment I step off the bus to the time I get up to my gate departure at T3? I have a 70lb case and hand luggage.

Directions will also be greatly appreciated as a solo business flyer. Thank you so much!! you were so helpful last year, it made my trip so much easier.

10 replies to this topic
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
29 reviews
25 helpful votes
1. Re: Heathrow T3 with sprained ankle!

From the bus station to T3 is probably around a 5-6 minute walk for someone of normal mobility, via the underground subway route. Likely to take longer with a sprained ankle, though there are some moving walkways in the subway, assuming they are operational.

Here's a link to a YouTube video from 2023 showing someone walking the route. They've used the escalators, though there are also lifts at both ends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOsfoW22fMs

The way T3 is built, you could have a fair walk to the gate, though again there are some moving walkways to help. If walking is a problem, you could request assistance from BA.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
43,371 posts
35 reviews
98 helpful votes
2. Re: Heathrow T3 with sprained ankle!

You don’t say how soon you fly. As sprained ankles are temporary, I would guess quite soon.

If this is longer than 48 hours time, I would either phone BA or go to the MMB part of the website and book airport assistance. This is free of charge and both those with permanent or temporary disability may use this service provided at airports at both end but booked via the airline. It won’t help with getting from bus to check in counter but will get you from there to the CW lounge and from there to the gate however far. So as long as you allow enough time to hobble by the shortest route to a check in counter with rests and using lifts where possible, that may help.

SWT

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,076 posts
28 reviews
47 helpful votes
3. Re: Heathrow T3 with sprained ankle!

I agree with SWT. This exactly a situation for airport assistance.

One January I flew back from Norway after an Hurtingruten trip,

I had sprained both cruciate ligaments slipping on the ice at Tromso.

I had some lovely crutches from Norwegian A & E, but I realised that navigating Gatwick airport on crutches would have been painful and exhausting so I contacted the airline and booked airport assistance.

Heathrow is much larger than Gatwick and the need for special assistance would be even greater.

Edited: 20 April 2024, 03:00
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
29 reviews
25 helpful votes
4. Re: Heathrow T3 with sprained ankle!

I don't know about the bus station, but LHR passenger assistance will take you to/from the Sofitel at T5 if you are staying there and flying in/out of T5 with assistance booked. Not for the OP, but it's very useful.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
71,489 posts
11 reviews
89 helpful votes
5. Re: Heathrow T3 with sprained ankle!

There is a lift from the Central Bus Station down to the subway for the walk to T3 departures. You may find trolleys scattered near the entrance/exit of the Tube station (the CBS sits atop it) which you could use for your heavy luggage and as a supportive device when walking to T3.

There are three travelators and a medium stretch without a travelator between the Tube station and the lifts up to the entrance to T3. The walk from the station is on a very slight upslope.

The plaza outside T3 departures is signed, with BA's bag drop desks fairly near the lift from the subway. From the bag drop desk you'll go up a short escalator to Fast Track security, which will have you walk through the general waiting area with masses of shops and tightly packed seats - cross all of that for the lounge areas. It shouldn't take more than two minutes to walk to the lounge (it's down a corridor) after finishing the security check.

It's impossible to know what gate will be used on the day. Some of them are signed as a 15 to 20 minute walk from the general waiting area, and that's been fairly accurate in my experience. There are travelators for the walk to gates 30 to 42 but it's still a bit of a trek. If you don't think you'd manage that hike then ask BA to arrange assistance from the lounge to the gate.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
31,304 posts
22 reviews
20 helpful votes
6. Re: Heathrow T3 with sprained ankle!

Just book assistance.

I had it today arriving at T5 and I wanted to get the underground to Leicester Square. He tookme to within a few yards of the turnstiles.

There will probably be an option to be collected from the bus station

Swansea, United...
4 posts
7. Re: Heathrow T3 with sprained ankle!

Thank you so much everyone for your reply. You have been more than helpful,and much more than I deserve -- because of my silly accident prone self not seeing a brick in the middle of the road.

The detailed instructions up to Terminal 3 plaza has been really helpful also. I have clearance to fly ,and my flight is mid-May - currently my foot is in a boot. hopefully that will fly off by the time I fly out! Of course being a solo traveler has its challenges in itself, but the advice to have disability assistance is wonderful, because this will mean that I get reimbursement of my plane seat -- no not the actual seat ( I wish ) 🥴🤨😩 the seat allocation costs, as I will be now registered as disabled. I'll give BA a call tomorrow.

Thank you all! ✈️

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,076 posts
28 reviews
47 helpful votes
8. Re: Heathrow T3 with sprained ankle!

Wow. I never knew that using airport assistance meant you got a refund on seat allocation costs.

BTW, if you ask for airport assistance at Heathrow, you can also have it at your arrival airport.

Sometimes it means you get off the airport first, but sometimes you need to wait on the plane until someone is available to collect you.

I travel solo, usually, without checked luggage and airport assistance puts it on the back of the wheelchair. (I can walk but the distances in airports can defeat me.

If you are concerned about getting to the airport with your bags, you might want to consider Airportr, which will collect them from you the night before and take them to the airport or, depending upon the destination, sometimes check it in so the next time you see the bag/s will be at your destination.

They used to do it for Austin, but I don't think they send directly to the USA anymore.

Even if it just goes to their desk at Heathrow, I think the airport assistance will take you to collect the bag.

https://airportr.com/en/ba/

Edited: 22 April 2024, 07:03
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,588 posts
29 reviews
25 helpful votes
9. Re: Heathrow T3 with sprained ankle!

“If you are concerned about getting to the airport with your bags, you might want to consider Airportr, which will collect them from you the night before and take them to the airport”

—-

If the OP’s profile location of Swansea is correct, that’s going to be outside Airportr’s service area.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
31,304 posts
22 reviews
20 helpful votes
10. Re: Heathrow T3 with sprained ankle!

League, I’m not sure that they refund seat selection costs but rather some airlines allow you to choose for free after you add special assistance. BA and jet2 certainly do. I don’t think every airline does this though.

I add my special asssitance request before i pick my seat. the intention is to ensure that a person with a disability is seated with the person travelling with them but I almost always travel solo and still get to pick my seat for free. On longer or overnight flights, getting a seat close to the bathrooms means I don’t need the crew to assist me getting there and back, so It suits them too for me to be in a seat that I can cope with.

I did pay for my seats on Ryanair recently but I couldn’t see whereI could add assitance as part of the booking process (and that reminds me, I still need to get the assitance booked for those flights)

Reply to: Heathrow T3 with sprained ankle!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.