We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to find flights that work from Australia

Orange, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
Trying to find flights that work from Australia

I am trying to find an agent or online contact who will work out airfares for me flying to Europe where I can stopover for 12hrs half way there of there abouts to lay in a bed and sleep that depart at a good time not 3am in the morning. I know I’m fussy but I’m 65 and had a really good agent who retired and haven’t found anyone good since- face to face or online

I’m going to Sofia in Bulgaria- but believe if I have 5 days in Athens , Bari or Istanbul it would be easier to get to Sofia from there. Then I’m going to Romania, Croatia and flying home from Dubrovnik

Can anyone suggest an amazing online company who can work it out for me. Flights on the internet are mind boggling with the options

11 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
4 reviews
4 helpful votes
1. Re: Trying to find flights that work from Australia

Qatar Airways offer this out of Melbourne as they operate two services a day. One departs about 4PM getting into Doha at c. 11PM (6am Melbourne time). They then operate a bank of flights leaving about 8AM to Europe (including Sofia). You can book a room in the Oryx airport hotel for the extended layover.

New Zealand
Level Contributor
4,092 posts
6 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Trying to find flights that work from Australia

I mainly travel with Emirates. I take the 6am (perhaps too early for you) out of Sydney which arrives Dubai at 14.10 (14 hour flight). I then stay at the Premier Inn Dubai International which provide a free half hourly shuttle to the airport only about 10 minutes.

The next morning I fly on to Europe, last year I left at 8.20 am for Paris, this year will be 10.50am for Athens.

I prefer to fly through the day and have a bed at night.

Last year I found the funds for PE to Dubai (I will be 80 next month) and will do the same this year.. Unfortunately it has to be economy to Paris and Athens.

Emirates also has one or two flights departing Sydney in the evening.

The last time I used an agent to book flights was in 2010. Just search on something like skyscanner or webjet BUT book direct with the airline.

London, United...
Level Contributor
23,831 posts
431 reviews
168 helpful votes
3. Re: Trying to find flights that work from Australia

Have you used Google Flights to see what options are available on the dates you're looking at?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
31,053 posts
22 reviews
18 helpful votes
4. Re: Trying to find flights that work from Australia

Both Emirates and Qatar do one stop overnight options from ydney to Sofia. You can book both online at their websites, no need for an agent.

Look at google flights and you will see the timings. there are 2 stop options too with other airlines. In economy there likely isn’t much difference between EK and QR. In business QR are significantly better.

maybe post in the Sydney forum for recommendations for good local TAs if you really don’t want to book yourself

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Cambodia, Burundi, Malawi, Rwanda
Level Contributor
13,782 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
5. Re: Trying to find flights that work from Australia

Any GOOD travel agent should be able to help unfortunately I live in the UK and can not recommend any but I know The flight Centre operate down under and they are a company i would trust in the UK

Give them your brief and let them come up wit ideas you do not have to buy from them if you are worried.

I would not myself use an on line agency I would want t speak with humans who will listen and properly research for me

Orange, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
6. Re: Trying to find flights that work from Australia

Thankyou so much for your reply

Orange, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: Trying to find flights that work from Australia

Thankyou Alistair. Good advice

Orange, Australia
Level Contributor
77 posts
5 reviews
4 helpful votes
8. Re: Trying to find flights that work from Australia

Thankyou Ambochaser- just what I was looking for - also hotel suggestion much appreciated/ that’s often difficult too

Greater Melbourne...
Level Contributor
1,832 posts
7 reviews
36 helpful votes
9. Re: Trying to find flights that work from Australia

A possibility that you may not have considered but which is about to become an option is Turkish Airlines. They are about to start flying from Sydney to Istanbul via Singapore. Turkish has a very extensive network in Europe. So you would have no difficulty constructing a suitable itinerary with them.

As far as a travel agent goes, I have used Jetaboard, which is based in Sydney and operates online, in the past and found them good.

https://www.jetabroad.com.au

Sheffield, United...
Destination Expert
for Cambodia, Burundi, Malawi, Rwanda
Level Contributor
13,782 posts
8 reviews
4 helpful votes
10. Re: Trying to find flights that work from Australia

Turkish also offer a free stopover service in Istanbul

Reply to: Trying to find flights that work from Australia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.