We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alitalia voucher refund

7 posts
Alitalia voucher refund

When Alitalia filed for bankruptcy in 2020 I filed a claim for my reimbursement of my ticket voucher (US$3900). Today, 14Feb2024 I received an e-mail saying refund was approved and requesting banking information. I’m very skeptical and believe the email is possibly a scam. Has anyone else received a similar email that resulted in a refund? Any advice on how to verify the authenticity of the email?

16 replies to this topic
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
10,923 posts
74 reviews
81 helpful votes
1. Re: Alitalia voucher refund

I suggest going to flyertalkcom and looking on the appropriate forum there. I bet people on there who have information on this.

United States
Level Contributor
13,817 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Alitalia voucher refund

Tom G:

You didn't have to write multiple posts on this topic.

There have been previous threads on this topic - I would guess there has been about two dozen people asking the same exact question on the Air Travel and Italy forums.

From all the previous threads, only one person has come back later and gave an update of what happened (they received the refund).

If you would have read through the thread that you posted on in the Italy forum, you would know the results.

Hillcrest, South...
Level Contributor
13 posts
133 reviews
111 helpful votes
3. Re: Alitalia voucher refund

I received such an email today (the email was from CUSTOMERCENTRE@ALITALIA.IT) - and I am also very sceptical. I have been trying to find out if this is legit but I am not satisfied yet.

Good to know that someone else has received an email like mine, but I am still not 100% sure and I am not happy to give out my bank details plus a copy of my Identification! Be very aware of scams out there!

Edited: 28 February 2024, 22:44
Surrey, United...
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
29,199 posts
49 reviews
74 helpful votes
4. Re: Alitalia voucher refund

@ Susie - please see the posts above yours - Post 1 in particular

Hillcrest, South...
Level Contributor
13 posts
133 reviews
111 helpful votes
5. Re: Alitalia voucher refund

Thank you

Annapolis, Maryland
2 posts
6. Re: Alitalia voucher refund

Received the same email for six flights we booked to Italy

Had a friend who works at homeland security take a look and she believed it to be 95% legit

7 posts
7. Re: Alitalia voucher refund

Update to my original post. I checked and felt the Alitalia email was legit, but to be cautious I opened a new checking account not linked to any of my primary accounts and gave Alitalia the routing to this new account. Today I received a wire transfer for the funds owed to me. Once I replied to the email it was about 3 days and I got a reply saying that the funds would wired to my account within 30 days. It actually took 3 weeks. So, for me the 3 year wait is over and I will transfer the funds tomorrow and close the new checking account.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
718 posts
43 reviews
17 helpful votes
8. Re: Alitalia voucher refund

They won't be able to steal money from your account using your Account Number and Bank Sort codes.... Always amazes me when people get scared of giving out this information, especially when you say it has come from their actual email address. The only way they are going to get access to your account is with your Bank logins, or card information (CRV, Expiry date, etc.)

United States
Level Contributor
11,491 posts
9. Re: Alitalia voucher refund

What #7 did sounds wise to me.

Barrington, Rhode...
Level Contributor
1 post
19 reviews
13 helpful votes
10. Re: Alitalia voucher refund

Just got one today. Seems very suspect. What did you do? I have been trying to figure out how to find out if it is legitimate.

Reply to: Alitalia voucher refund
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.