We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anyone flown 'Hi Fly' Airlines recently?

North Shore, New...
Level Contributor
301 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Anyone flown 'Hi Fly' Airlines recently?

I was double checking our Auckland / Sydney flight on 29 March to remind myself what time it arrives in Sydney.... only to find out it has been replaced with 'Hi Fly' A340... (plane and crew)

We are quite dissapointed because we received no notification from Air NZ about this and had I not double checked the flight we wouldn't have known until check in...

I've looked up Hi Fly's (less that favourable) reviews and have to say I'm not very happy....

Air NZ said we can change to nother flight on that day or within a 7 day period for no charge, but we chose that flight because it was on a 787-9 and the replacement flight is on an A340

the other flights on that day are on Air NZ A320.

has anyone flown Hi Fly recently on A340 - would be interested to hear your thoughts

4 replies to this topic
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,762 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anyone flown 'Hi Fly' Airlines recently?

Have never flown Hi Fly, but the reason for the change is that the terrible issues with the Rolls Royce Trent 1000 engines on the 787 Dreamliners. In your case NZ but many other airlines have the same issue (ANA, Virgin Atlantic, Norwegian and others). They have had multiple problems and RR can’t supply replacement parts and/or engines. So they are having to ground their Dreamliners and find other aircraft, including wet leases from Hi Fly.

So if the experience is bad, blame Rolls Royce.

North Shore, New...
Level Contributor
301 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anyone flown 'Hi Fly' Airlines recently?

yes - I found that out on Air NZ website.... they did e-mail 2 weeks ago to advise a change to the flight time by 10 minutes, but didn't say that our flight was going to be operated by a totally different airline.... pretty slack if you ask me.

We will be on the phone to them in the morning saeeing if we can change the flight...

Luton, United...
Level Contributor
354 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anyone flown 'Hi Fly' Airlines recently?

If it is in economy I'd take the wider seat on the A340 or even A320 over the cramped "Dreamliner" any day. Nonetheless Hi Fly will be just fine.

North Shore, New...
Level Contributor
301 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anyone flown 'Hi Fly' Airlines recently?

well the reviews were enough to put us off... people said the planes were dirty inside, the inflight entertainment not working properly.... so we phoned Air NZ and managed to change our flight to Sydney so we are on an Air NZ plane with Air NZ crew

Reply to: Anyone flown 'Hi Fly' Airlines recently?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
;