We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight landing delayed for 5hrs 30 mins, what are our rights

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Flight landing delayed for 5hrs 30 mins, what are our rights

flight with Jet2 from Faro to Belfast scheduled to take off at 13.25 and arrive Belfast 16.45

All passengers on plane on runway and its was reported there was a damaged tyre and we waited for a inspector/engine to come who would not approve flight to depart

We were all taken off the plane with our hand baggage back to terminal and issued with 11euros voucher for food

I was emailed by jet 2 saying our flight was delayed due to "unforeseen operational reasons"

we were informed by staff at 6pm that a replacement plane would be departing at 720pm, it departed at 750pm and landed in belfast at 22.15

I make that a delay of 5hrs 30 mins from our original scheduled landing time

we travelled as 2 adults, 2 children and a baby and was wondering what are our rights regarding compensation if any experts on here could advise?

thanks in advance Gary

79 replies to this topic
UK
Level Contributor
6,751 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight landing delayed for 5hrs 30 mins, what are our rights

Technical issues with the aircraft don't qualify as "circumstances outside the airline's control", and you are entitled to compensation under EU261/2004.

It's up to the airline to prove that there were NO circumstances outside their control.

So - claim from them. If they say no threaten them with the Small Claims Court (that's usually enough to make airlines pay up). If they still don't pay up take out a summons. They haven't really got a leg to stand on.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
8,368 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight landing delayed for 5hrs 30 mins, what are our rights

You are entitled to Euro 400.- per person. I guess the baby is only entitled if it wasn't free of charge.

I would write to jet2 that the plane was delayed due to a technical fault and these are not considered as exceptional circumstances. Therefore you request full monetary compensation as per EU261 regulation.

I would further tell them that you will initiate legal proceedings if you do not get a payment confirmation within 28 days (as per jet2's own guideline).

PS: A small typo correction to above. The airline has to prove that there WERE circumstances outside their control.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,714 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight landing delayed for 5hrs 30 mins, what are our rights

Similar experience in July with Flybe.

We did not have to threaten them,their call centre investigated and accepted that it was their responsibility and we had the full claim in our Bank 5 days later

SS

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight landing delayed for 5hrs 30 mins, what are our rights

thanks for all the replies

that all sounds very promising, i will see if i cant find a template letter online

Leyburn, United...
Level Contributor
1,957 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flight landing delayed for 5hrs 30 mins, what are our rights

Gary.....Martin Lewis. Money Saving Expert website has template, or link to Resolver which you can use free.

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flight landing delayed for 5hrs 30 mins, what are our rights

thanks very much, i will check those out right away

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flight landing delayed for 5hrs 30 mins, what are our rights

i have submitted through resolver and i will post back here with any progress or results

thanks again

Level Contributor
78 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flight landing delayed for 5hrs 30 mins, what are our rights

What do you need compensating for? The airline has the safety of 200+ people as it's main concern, I'm not sure how claiming £300 odd pound each makes things better. Unless the delay meant you lost a day from work or longer parking fees, fine but people are just claiming because they can. To me this only means one thing, higher prices. Are you entitled to compensation, most likely. Should you get compensation, most definitely not unless a genuine loss of money was lost due to the delay.

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,488 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flight landing delayed for 5hrs 30 mins, what are our rights

I would sooner arrive late in this world than early in the next because the tyre burst on take-off or landing causing a fatal crash!

No wonder everyone is complaining about rising air fares! They have to recoup all these compensation payouts from somewhere & their income comes from the travelling public.

Belfast
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flight landing delayed for 5hrs 30 mins, what are our rights

Lol the trolls have arrived

Reply to: Flight landing delayed for 5hrs 30 mins, what are our rights
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted