We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Overpaid, how do I get the difference back?

Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
2 helpful votes
Overpaid, how do I get the difference back?

I booked a apartment/suite on VRBO. No refund as it was only 9 days before trip. After I booked it, they give you location which also gave me the website of the complex where we are staying. It is over $500 cheaper to book directly on their site. I contacted the host which is Trip Homes and they said they can not honor it. I believe they manage both sites. Anyone have any luck with this?

3 replies to this topic
Marlton, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
2 helpful votes
1. Re: Overpaid, how do I get the difference back?

The trip isn’t until next week 2/21.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
1,374 posts
46 reviews
39 helpful votes
2. Re: Overpaid, how do I get the difference back?

This is very common. Many properties are listed across multiple platforms. If we see a property on VRBO or Airbnb we often search the description and will find it on another rental site, usually the property manager. In addition to a lower price, it means you'll deal directly with the property owner/manager.

Your contract is with VRBO, so the host has no control over your booking.

Lincoln, NH
Level Contributor
4,339 posts
11 reviews
16 helpful votes
3. Re: Overpaid, how do I get the difference back?

You're stuck. You only knew about the place because of VRBO, right? (Otherwise you would have done your homework in advance.) So, lesson learned. VRBO is not the cheapest, but they offer a lot of selection and assurances.

As far as "they" managing both sites -- no. There is most likely an individual owner who lists their unit for rent on both platforms. The price difference is likely the commission difference between both platforms. The owner ends up getting the same money regardless.

Reply to: Overpaid, how do I get the difference back?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.