We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

VRBO customer reviews

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
285 posts
373 reviews
308 helpful votes
VRBO customer reviews

I really don't like VRBO to start with - they never cease to amaze me how much they get away with in feeds, cleaning, etc...

But, when traveling with a multi-generational family with SOs etc.. it becomes easier to find a place we can all stay at and I somehow stomach the huge fees, and paying $250 for cleaning for a place we stayed at for 3 nights.

So, the last few times we paid this big cleaning fee, and left the place reasonably clean. We did the dishes, ran the dishwasher, took out the garbage, wiped off hte table, maybe there were some crumbs on the deck and floor, but for $250, that covers a lot of cleaning. In fact, I live in a very expensive area, and I pay that much for cleaners to come every other week to clean a much bigger and messier house. Then why are we consistently getting a 3 star review under "cleanlines" for our customer review??!!!

The last one was even more infuriating because we were nice enough to allow a handyman to come into the house while we were out for the day and gave it a 5 star review despite the fact that doors didn't quite close properly, appliance were old, they did not have a lot of dishes and similar.

How do these negative reviews affect us as customers?

10 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
11 reviews
16 helpful votes
1. Re: VRBO customer reviews

Hmmm. Why are you getting bad reviews when you're so tidy? Choose:

1. You are not as tidy as you think you are.

2. You have bad luck with owners and for sure, you'll start getting 5-star review soon.

How does it affect your ability to rent homes? Well, owners may want to give you a pass.

As a former VR owners, I can assure you that a good leaning job is worth every penny. Why your house cleaner may clean your home, I rather doubt they empty the fridge and clean it to brand-new condition, and similarly clean every surface, wash all the laundry, make every bed... etc. etc. It is *not* like cleaning your home.

Sunnyvale, CA
Level Contributor
285 posts
373 reviews
308 helpful votes
2. Re: VRBO customer reviews

Well, first of all, yes I am tidy. I leave the fridge empty. I run and empty the dishwasher. Andone place was a 2 bedroom, 2 bath where we only used one bedroom, the rest was untouched. And, why do I have to leave it spotless if I'm also paying for cleaning? There was nothing in the instructions about scrubbing floors or similar. And yes, i realize they do a bit more than my cleaning crew (who BTW also change the linens though they do not wash them, and will wash dishes but do not clean the fridge), but we were there for only 3 nights, and were barely there (only slept, used bathrooms and cooked 2 dinners) and my house is far bigger than the rentals.

If they want to stop renting to me, their loss, but I did not go on vacation to spend half of it cleaning to some invisible standards of some of the owners (who BTW, in their instructions simply said put dirty dishes in dishwasher and start it. We went further each time and also emptied it).

Here's a note to all you VRBO owners out there, perhaps give us a detailed list of what you want done before we check out, and give it to us before we start paying those exorbitant non-refundable fees.

This is only something that started recently, nobody has ever made bad comments before (and that was when my kids were little and i did leave the place in worse shape than I do these days) but it's enough to convince me not to use VRBO anymore. All of my friends have also come to that conclusion. Expecting us guess what you want done before we leave is not fair, and I should not waste time on my vacation to contact you about this.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
11 reviews
16 helpful votes
3. Re: VRBO customer reviews

If you're not already doing it... be certain to only rent from owners who have excellent reviews -- and a lot of them. I never left a bad comment, even on total slobs. Bad business. And I always got 5-star reviews and happy guests.

1 post
4. Re: VRBO customer reviews

One of my worst vacation experiences ever. I booked an apartment in Paris for 3 night stay, and my reservation was cancelled 12 hours before my check in time. After contacting Vrbo, they found a temporary stay 17 miles away from the place that I had originally reserved and my case was sent to their re-booking department. I asked for a better located place, but they only responded until the next day at about the same time that I had to check out from the hotel that they have assigned. I had to find a solution on my own and extend the stay at same hotel, which cost me an average of $80 euros a day in transportation. Initially they offered a full refund of my original reservation plus a refund on the cost of the new stay, but now they're saying I'm only getting the original refund back, so they will not cover anything else to compensate for the extra transportation cost or my vacation disruption by almost having to spend the night on the streets of Paris. Worst customer service that I've ever dealt with. Stay away from using Vrbo

1 post
1 review
5. Re: VRBO customer reviews

Our first experience with VRBO and we got “taken” by a fraudulent listing. We booked through VRBO and paid through VRBO, messaged with the “host” through VRBO, paid a deposit through VRBO, when the listing disappeared right before our trip (I wanted to see if they had a washer), VRBO responded to my fear that it was a fraudulent listing by saying that others have stayed at this place and don’t worry we have a guarantee. Well, we flew overnight with two little kids, were exhausted, showed up at the place and it didn’t exist. Neighbors said that another unit is often rented but the number of our promised VRBO was actually occupied by the owner.

I will say that once this all played out, VRBO was responsive and got us a hotel a few blocks over within 2 hours. They only booked it for two days though (we had five nights booked originally). So then after a day we had to fuss with VRBO again and they did just email us and said book what you want, and we’ll reimburse you. They had a weird way to book that was annoying and took time, but we got to stay in the same room. The hotel was nice but not what we wanted. We have two small children so booked a two bedroom apartment with a kitchen. The hotel was one bed with a terribly uncomfortable pullout couch and no kitchen.

So now repayment… On the phone, VRBO made it seem like they would pay for our hotel for the full stay given the huge mess and inconvenience showing up a fake property is with two little kids after an overnight flight in a city we don’t know. But reading the email, it seems they would only refund if we paid more than what we originally had paid for the VRBO. So, say we paid $1000 for the VRBO – VRBO tells you to book your room through Expedia which is 3 times more expensive. So we pay $1100 for the new hotel, so they only pay us $100? SOO essentially, VRBO really screwed us and in the end we are out an EXTRA $100? HOW IS THAT FAIR? I Hope I am wrong.

Then, in order to get the originally money and deposit we paid through VRBO, VRBO wants all this information in order to refund you. So we’re jumping through hoops, having to call and check on things, and are waiting for our refund. I will gladly update my review when things come through but will be very disappointed if it takes more time to get our refunds.

Again, I will gladly update this review when VRBO refunds us for our original payment for the fake property and the deposit and refunds us for the entire hotel stay we had to scramble to get that was, again, not ideal.

Hackettstown, New...
1 post
6. Re: VRBO customer reviews

Horrible company. I have spent hours because they did not confirm a booking, but charged me anyway after I made another booking. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

1 post
7. Re: VRBO customer reviews

As a VRBO owner, I am warning customers to BEWARE OF VRBO. Four months ago, a renter paid to stay in my rental property, he paid over $200 more than I was to be paid. The renter stayed on my property almost 1 week and I was never issued my rightful payout. VRBO supposedly applied my payout to a fraudulent account which I never authorized. VRBO claims to have caught the "fraudster" and yet still never deposited my money.

Frustrating endless phone calls and emails to incompetent oversees workers only result in more lies about recovering my funds in the future. In essence, VRBO does not run a secure system where personal information can be accessed by possibly one of their employees or supposed fraudulent hackers. Neither renter nor owner banking information is safe with VRBO.

As a property owner, I suggest Airbnb who uses a third-party payout and does not access your personal banking information. Beware of posting your accounts on VRBO.

1 post
8. Re: VRBO customer reviews

As a property owner I can tell other property owners to avoid VRBO as they are a horrible company to deal with as they fail to understand that the owner IS their product.

I had my listing set to no instant booking and even have listed out no short term stays and must contact me before booking.

They had an update and it changed my setting and someone booked a short term stay with instant booking. This is against my rules, my setting and clearly stated. I cancelled it immediately.

I heard nothing for 3 months then I get a notice of a $245 cancellation fee to me!! Worse, it is cutting me off when I never got any invoice and it was in error on their part.

I tried Chat with 2 different agents and was cut off despite admitting they were wrong and asking me to send the invoice, which I did.

So I called them. Now going on 1 hour being put on hold. Then come on and say I had 30 days to dispute the invoice once its submitted. I double checked my email - nothing till the late notice one. So I told them that not only were they derelict in taking the booking, but never sent a invoice, and now saying its my fault for not complaining in 30 days! I reminded them I have proof on both items and to credit back the invoice.

I asked them again if they are prepared to lose a multimillion dollar home that generates thousands of dollars for them over a $245 incorrect cancellation invoice? Then asked this supervisor if she had authority to credit back the invoice. She said no. So I asked for someone who does. On hold again.

So clearly Expedia Group who owns VRBO cares nothing about their product, their owners and do not book with them as they hold your deposit and don’t pay you for up to 30 days past guest leaving.

On top of that, all I get is scammers!

9. Re: VRBO customer reviews

Just an FYI, when you are using VRBO, scroll down till you see, "About the Host", lots of times the host is the actual company renting the property, and so you will pay the actual rental property fees and not the mark up fees that VRBO charges. I use VRBO for the search engine but I will never ever book through them again. I'm still trying to get a refund of $117 from them for just booking fees.

Merrimack, New...
Level Contributor
10 posts
20 reviews
33 helpful votes
10. Re: VRBO customer reviews

I just discovered through happenstance that the "host" of property we are renting on Cape Cod in late July is a scam artist; he doesn't own the property and had no right to put it on VRBO. I'm trying to get our money back from VRBO and am considering filing criminal charges against the guy, Nicholas Fiorillo. How can this happen? Doesn't VRBO vet the hosts to ensure they have the right to rent the property? There are 20 of us...imagine if we all showed up after flying from various parts of the country to a house that was already occupied!

Reply to: VRBO customer reviews
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.