We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wyndham fraud/scam

Shorewood, Illinois
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
17 helpful votes
Wyndham fraud/scam

We have friends that are in the Wyndham club who asked us if we wanted to go on a short trip with them to Tennessee because they had an extra room. Our friends would be attending a owner's meeting during the stay and we had been "invited" to attend a presentation and receive a visa gift card. Upon arrival we filled out a short form and were advised that after the presentation we would receive our free gift. A salesman named "Casey" then took us aside and asked what gift we had been promised. We said a visa gift card. we then went into the presentation room and all the other people there were eating lunch. We were told that we were not signed up for the lunch only the gift card. Ok fine. During the presentation we were told that customer service is the most important thing to Wyndham and that's why everyone receives such 'valuable gifts' for attending. We then went on a tour during which we saw that our friends were done with the owner's meeting and were going out to sight see. We however had to go back to the office for another salesman who gave the hard sell which we declined at this time due to financial circumstances although my husband said in 6 months to a year it would be possible. That salesman left to go "process' our gifts. Another man came to do a survey with us regarding the property and presentation and of course the final 'push' to buy. We reiterated that in 6 months would be a better time for us and he then tore up the survey and threw it in the trash. He took us to another office where he said a woman would give us our gifts. The woman gave me another survey regarding the salesmen which I did write nice things about. Upon handing her the survey I asked what gifts we would get and she said "you get NOTHING" !!! I was flabbergasted. We asked to see the manager who meandered slowly to us. I told him that no less than 5 people had said we would be getting gifts but now we were told we get none. He then said our "gift" was the "privilege" of staying with our friends. Unbelievable!!! We could have been out and about sightseeing instead of wasting two hours of our 2 day vacation listening to BS and being LIED to. In 6 months time when purchasing a vacation club I will go with any other company, NEVER again Wyndham!!

95 replies to this topic
Perth, Australia
1 post
1. Re: Wyndham fraud/scam

I have been a Wyndham member (sucker) since 2006. Thirteen years ago I parted with AU$26,000 to purchase the 9,000 annual credits and in addition pay $76.61 each and every month as a 'levie'. In effect another $1,000 per year. I think I have 9,000 annual credits but this basic information is no longer associated with my account. It used to be but somehow this section of the user account has disappeared or at least is now hidden. From memory, September is the 'roll over' date where these credits pop into my account, but again that info is no longer easily accessible. What my credits bought 10 ten years ago in terms of length of stay no longer purchases the same amount of time. In other words the purchase has been eroded over time with price increases. It is very difficult to book into a resort of your choosing for a specified period and a hopeless exercise at any peak period, unless booking a year in advance and then of course this far out requires a 7 night minimum stay. The RCI exchange program is a joke and certainly the hotels in SE Asia have few rooms to choose from for any selected date and the rooms are second rate. Every time I do stay somewhere, the sales pitch even from reception staff is pathetic. I have learnt over the years to be blunt and to the point and if necessary rude to stop the endless speel. Value for money is highly questionable, ROI = NIL at best, in my calculation a certain loss.

So after more than a decade of member experience I would agree... NEVER again Wyndham!!

Edited: 5 years ago
2. Re: Wyndham fraud/scam

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?

Tex
Aspen, Colorado
Level Contributor
3,039 posts
3. Re: Wyndham fraud/scam

jonas -- your second mistake was to include your personal information on a public forum. That may have more serious consequences.

You should post this on the TUGs Wyndham forum.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?forums/wyndham-vacation-resorts.47/

Central Maine
Destination Expert
for Maine
Level Contributor
8,674 posts
144 reviews
148 helpful votes
4. Re: Wyndham fraud/scam

Jonas --

Too bad you didn't see this posting on Trip Advisor regarding Wyndham Timeshares before you got involved with them... https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1-i10700-k4111603-Wyndham_Timeshare_the_good_bad_and_the_ugly-Timeshares_Vacation_Rentals.htmln

Hundreds of posts from folks who have also had problems dealing with Wyndham and the less-than-honest sales staffs that represent them.

I also agree with Tex (Post #2) and STRONGLY SUGGEST you remove your personal information from your posting... before someone else tries to use your Wyndham Member # for a free vacation at your expense!

Clifton Park, New...
Level Contributor
89 posts
685 reviews
361 helpful votes
5. Re: Wyndham fraud/scam

Jonas, my heart goes out to you, as your post shows what is wrong with our timeshare industry. Most honest people don't expect to be hoodwinked and lied to by a major corporation. It is commonplace in timeshare sales. Thank you for the documentation of your whole story. Very long, but very interesting. I hope you save some prospects from going to a Wyndham presentation. As Tex recommended, putting your personal info on the internet may cause scammers to contact you in an attempt to cause more problems. Beware. Also, the Tug website is a wonderful resource on how to use timeshare. It is also a great place to vent. Your story will be appreciated. They are good people. Best of luck to you.

1 post
1 review
6. Re: Wyndham fraud/scam

Did you ever get out of the Wyndham memebership?

London
Level Contributor
2 posts
32 reviews
60 helpful votes
7. Re: Wyndham fraud/scam

I didn't get to the holiday yet and I feel like this is a big rip off, waist of time, money and peace... stress even with booking. Terrible customer service..

Last year I received a call from Wyndham sales team a call. As a diamond member I was told I can get a vacation 3 nights package at ANY of their Vacation resorts in the USA, plus a resort credit after attending 1.5h meeting/presentation about their resorts. I did not want to buy it but the sales person was very convincing, she promised I can use the package against ANY of their vacation resorts in the USA including Wyndham Clear Water Vacation resort and she said this couple of times to me. Not the Grand hotel but actual vacation resort. And I bought it.. huge mistake. Earlier this year finally I managed to get some time off and I sent a request with dates etc. No response. Then I called to book the Wyndham Clear Water Vacation resort and I was told that this resort is NOT part of my package. And that my package is for Daytona Beach... I don't (didn't even know where this was!!!). But I can pay a premium and book the Wyndham CW resort. Then something disconnected me. I called again, next person told me this is a premium resort and even if I want to stay I can't even with a premium. But I can stay at the Grand hotel Not premium mentioned to me before. I needed more time and circumstances changed. So Today I called again, I decided to go for San Fran Donatello hotel. I was told the hotel is fully booked and I can't have it. I asked if I can check on the web hotel availability before calling to save myself a time. And I was told they have different system and I can't check availability online I need to call. Mess, mess terrible. Each time I checked flights, when I found good flight and somehow reasonably looking resort they had no availability.. I travel a lot and this is by far the worst experience I have ever had. Now not only I will not use ever again their vacation resorts and I dare anyone to do that, but I will also stay away from any kind of hotels from their group. In December I stayed in Costa Mesa, CA.. dirty, smelly, terrible customer service. Think twice before booking any of their hotels or resorts.

1 post
8. Re: Wyndham fraud/scam

GET YOUR MONEY REFUNDED ASAP! THERE IS A HOOK!

Fortunately, I saw through the BS of my my salesperson, Michael Mc., in Palm Aire, Pompano Beach Florida. My wife couldn't see it, but I did. He told us that if we don't buy at this presentation, we will have to sit through another 4 hour presentation when we use the one week voucher. When I asked the price that I had to pay for the 400,000 points, he told me that I couldn't afford it and I should just preview the real estate and leave. He incorrectly prejudged us. Absolutely, terrible salesmanship!!!

I came home and disputed the $49 fee. What a scam!!!

9. Re: Wyndham fraud/scam

Tripadvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet Tripadvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

What are forum guidelines?

10. Re: Wyndham fraud/scam

We were there this werk and after their hatd sell, we did not fall fir theirline, we got tickets to two free shiws. I will never do that again.these people are frauds.

Reply to: Wyndham fraud/scam
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.