We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Experience with Evolve Vacation Rentals?

San Francisco...
1 post
Experience with Evolve Vacation Rentals?

Hi All,

We just had a really bad experience with Evolve Vacation rentals. We booked a place in Durham in which the description did not match the rental. When we opted not to stay, Evolve told us it was up to the owner -- something i find disingenuous. Once you fully pay for a stay, the owner has no incentive to cure their posting or the experience. We were incredibly disappointed with their customer service and are not inclined to use them again.

Has anyone had any experience with Evolve? Trying to decide if this was a fluke, or if I should stick with AirBNB or VRBO going forward.

130 replies to this topic
Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
9,283 posts
76 reviews
54 helpful votes
1. Re: Experience with Evolve Vacation Rentals?

Sorry that you had a bad experience - it's always annoying when something like that happens.

From reading their site, it appears that the owner provides the details for each listing, including the descriptions, and Evolve does not visit each property to inspect and verify this description. Unfortunately, this is the same model that sites like AirBnB, VRBO and TripAdvisor Rentals uses - they have no way of verifying what the owner claims about a property, and relies on reviews to determine how well the property lived up to the description.

So as such I don't think that they are any different than the other listing site, I'm afraid.

My advice would to be leave a review on that site, if you haven't already, so that they have some data to say that the property was not what you expected.

Denver, Colorado
1 post
2. Re: Experience with Evolve Vacation Rentals?

Hi Clubnumb! My name is Stephen and I oversee the Customer Experience department here at Evolve. I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience traveling with our company. I've attempted located your booking based on the information in this post but was unsuccessful. Can you email me your reservation number so I can further investigate? My email address is sproffitt@evolvevacationrental.com. Thank you and I look forward to helping resolve your issue. Best, Stephen.

J W
1 post
3. Re: Experience with Evolve Vacation Rentals?

I paid $414.00 for a 2-night stay at a property to have access to a private pool. Upon arrival the pool was green from algae. Further research indicated it is unwise and unsafe to swim in pools that are green due to algae. Unable to use pool until the next day. Spoke to Owner who deferred us to Evolve Vacation Network. Given it was a health safety issue we were unable to use the pool on our first night. Ask for some form of discount. Evolve did not resolve this issue but rather contacted the Owner who confirmed algae issue with pool but refused to give a discount. Property was at a high rate and yet access to advertised pool was not available. Evolve took 20-days to respond and did not advocate for a discount for me the customer. No fail safe provided should property be misadvertised or unsafe. Customer is still on the line for the full payment. BAD BUSINESS!!!!!

Los Angeles...
2 posts
4. Re: Experience with Evolve Vacation Rentals?

I booked an airbnb that was managed by Evolve and had to cancel last minute because of weather since it was going to snow all week leading up to the weekend my friends and I were planning on being there. The owner was willing to give us a 75% refund and Evolve covered the rest of the refund. I will definitely book an airbnb in the future that is managed by Evolve!

Edited: 5 years ago
Memphis, Tennessee
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Experience with Evolve Vacation Rentals?

Totally got screwed by this company. They called at 7:50 to say they are canceling our upcoming reservation because they couldn’t get in contact with us about our pet fee. Here’s the kicker that was our first contact. I called back at 8:02 and couldn’t stop the cancellation. I’d have to rebook but the rate went from $170 a night to $370 a night!!! Smells fishy.

6. Re: Experience with Evolve Vacation Rentals?

We had a horrible experience with them as well. They also cancelled our reservation after a month and now of course prices in the area have gone up by from #350/night to 500/Night. They said they were going to help us find another place but gave us no information. Definitely smells fishy

1 post
7. Re: Experience with Evolve Vacation Rentals?

We had a horrible experience with Evolve. They took over an Airbnb property that had previous reservations, and didn’t honor them. They cancelled us literally on the day we arrived, after traveling for 12 hours across the country on trains, planes and cars to get there. Nightmare. Do not trust this company with your hard earned vacation plans.

8. Re: Experience with Evolve Vacation Rentals?

I am a vacation rental property owner that uses Evolve Vacation Rentals. Evolve is a booking and marketing firm that maintains my listing on several booking sites and provides me a single meshed calendar that i use to manage my rental. If you've experienced a booking issue it may be because your caught between policies of Evolve and the third party site you booked with i.e AirBnB or VRBO, but in the end it is the owner of the property who has the last say and is responsible for your vacation experience and the condition of the property.

Evolve has always responded promptly to all of my requests, refunds, damage issues, etc. The truth is vacation rentals are very popular but not all people are good vacation rental owners. If you're having an issue it may be the owner who's actually holding you up. I pride myself on my guests experience and answer their concerns in minutes. The proof i have 74 reviews of my property and 9 out of 10 mention me personally as a great host.

Here's a tip: If you're interested in a property first check if there are multiple excellent reviews of course, then look to see who owns the listing, if there is a management company like Evolve listed or some other company check and see if they have their own booking site, then compare the same property and dates across both sites chances are you will save money, eliminate the 3rd party fees, nightly rate price mark ups and remove policy conflicts.

As far as reviews go: Evolve collects all reviews from all sites i am listed on and posts them collectively on their booking site. Each review states on which site the review was originally posted. They do not make up their own reviews. However, i do believe none of the booking sites will post terrible reviews, it works against them making money, they want as many properties to book as possible so why would they tell you it's a bad place to stay.

Bogota, New Jersey
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
11 helpful votes
9. Re: Experience with Evolve Vacation Rentals?

I put a deposit on a rental, but had some questions. Three times over the last 6 weeks I've submitted my questions through Evolve's website and I've received no response whatsoever. I am starting to grow wary of following-through with this rental because it feels like a scam. There is seemingly no way to get a refund on my deposit, even though the rental dates are still months away!

5 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
10. Re: Experience with Evolve Vacation Rentals?

It is not a fluke -- it is a common experience for those who have dealt with Evolve Vacation Rental. You can see the many, many horrible experiences people have had at their properties at the Better Business Bureau: https://www.bbb.org/us/co/denver/profile/vacation-rentals/evolve-vacation-rental-0885-90222676/complaints?fbclid=IwAR1rpjsSnsGJlNTmDQPyeV1QUf80mlj7Bbdmo_P-FI2IHnJjfUHETVZvb_o

Reply to: Experience with Evolve Vacation Rentals?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in New Zealand. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.