My husband and I arrived at Aspen Manor on Friday, 15 January at 4:00 pm. Reception was locked and dark with no sign of life (peering inside it looked as if it were being used as a storage space). There was a note on the door to 'dial 7' on an incredibly dirty/greasy phone - there was no answer. I phoned the motel and the woman that answered had very poor English skills, I had to repeat my name five times. Once that was sorted we were directed to Unit 3 and told the key was in the unit. Guests staying at Unit 2 had just arrived and could not find the key - they had phoned the motel and established the key was in the cupboard and suggested that is where we would likely find ours (and we did). On entering the unit the first thing I noticed was there were no towels. I phone the motel number again and was advised that the towels weren't ready yet - still being washed (it was 4.20 pm!!) - she would bring some over when ready. No apology was offered for the inconvenience. We left to go out to dinner at 5.20 pm and the towels had still not arrived. Whilst waiting for for the towels I did a recky of the unit - there were multiple hairs in the bathroom sink and another hair in the shower (refer photos). In addition, and probably the most disturbing is that the smoke alarm had been removed (refer photo) - I thought maybe it had been replaced by a more modern alarm but I failed to find any sign of an alarm. On walking outside, I spotted some very unsafe wiring in the ceiling of the overhang which appeared to have been like that for some time as there was dust and grim all over the wires (refer photo). Further along there was a broken outdoor light fitting with jagged edges that is an accident waiting to happen - especially for kids playing and running around (refer photo). I was dreading going to sleep that night however the sheets were clean. The towels, however, were old and stained. In relation to COVID there was no QR Code and no mention of COVID whatsoever. I am not sure if that is even legal. Up until four years ago my husband and I lived in Hamilton East and used to recommend this motel to friends. The motel has most certainly gone way way way downhill since then. The charge for the room was $140.00 ... never again! ...I have just been perusing Aspen's website that says "53 people rate as excellent" so reviewed the reviews and the last time someone rated it as 'excellent' was July 2019 - since then there have been many unhappy customers.…
It was a good place for our purposes of just a bed for the night. We were in a family unit which is in the block where there seemed to be long stay residents which did not feel great. The place is a bit run down and is overdue a make over.
Alright for sleeping but needed some maintenance in the unit. Hot plate in kitchen didn’t work and bathroom needed more lights. Had to ask for towels as not enough in unit. Receptionist very business like and didn’t offer any more than the key. A positive was the large size of the unit.
Really disappointed and not what we thought it would be. False advertising at its finest, on arrival and after seeing the room we complained and we were told if we wanted a cleaner room that didn’t smell like cigarette smoke and have holes in the carpet etc etc we needed to pay more for a “better room”. It is being used for emergency housing. Didn’t feel safe staying here with the people who were hanging around the rooms so had to go elsewhere. No refunds, management was rude and couldn’t care less about the derelict state of the rooms and insist that they are as advertised when they are clearly not. Couldn’t pay me to stay here, don’t waste your money!
While the room was amazing!!!! I had made a booking a month before for a family room. An alternative was given however split rooms at opposite ends of the complex splitting me and my children with no good explanation on why this happened.