Our favourite hotel is sinking FAST!!! This is our third visit to the Kruger Gate hotel in 2020. We were here in Feb, September and now in December (28 December to 1 Jan 2021). On each visit the hotel’s service, food and hospitality deteriorated at such a pace that sadly we will not come return unless something drastically changes. This hotel, in its current state, is not worthy of being associated with the Marriott brand.
1. The rooms: we stayed in the new section (room 440) in a beautifully decorated room. However, our patio was dirty on arrival and only cleaned on the last day of our four night stay.
2. Food: appalling is an Understatement for the food both in terms of quality and quantity. The boma dinners that used to be a highlight for many guests of this hotel has now become the most disappointing event of the day! The same tasteless, unattractive and poor quality food was dished up four nights in a row! ‘Wors’ pap and tomato ‘sheba’ sauce is the highlight of the meal. For new years eve the same dismal dishes were presented with not so much as the slightest effort to make it special for the guests or to make it ‘feel or look’ like new years eve.
3. Deck and pool service: this was the most frustrating experience of the whole holiday. Drink orders, took on average, one hour. Food orders on EVERY occasion had to be repeated and took ridiculously long. Hotel guests were so frustrated with staff and their lack of competence which caused more anxiety amongst staff. It is evident in service that limited staff are trained in hospitality services at this hotel.
4. Staff: with the exception of two people (Sam Monareng and Experience Mduli) the staff were unfriendly, incapable and VERY unhelpful. Sam was doing his best with limited resources, night after night to try and manage the chaos during dinner service! As an qualified HR person it is evident that this ship is without a captain! We have not ONCE during our stay encountered anyone from management during the rounds and checking up on guests. The reception staff where also very unfriendly upon arrival. Upon checkout we were asked about our stay and clearly not interested in our reply the front desk person dismissed my husband’s response.
5. Rates: This hotel charges top dollar but delivers below expected standard service. Marriott further advertises a 25% discount on accommodation on Facebook till end of January 2021 but when trying to access this through the Bon Voyage app it is simple not available. Front desk was again totally unhelpful and incompetent to assist with the Bon Voyage application.
In conclusion, I have written several positive reviews about this hotel over, give and take, the last 10 years. Based on our current experience I rate this hotel a 2/10 and would not encourage anyone to visit this hotel in its current state.
NOTE: I am totally aware of the impact that Covid-19 is having on the hospitality industry and this hotel in particular. However, most of the challenges the hotel are facing can be resolved without blaming it on Covid.
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC