My wife and I got two massages here on a recommendation that it was the "best massage spa in Arusha". The people were pleasant, but that's the end of the list of positives.
Now for the negatives:
- It was overpriced: $90 USD each for 75 min.
- The quality of our Swedish massages were "mediocre" and "bad", in turn. My wife got an abrasion on her arm from one masseuse squeezing too hard. On the other end of the spectrum, my massage was so light and cursory as to not be enjoyable. It really seemed like our masseuses were just inexperienced.
- Only a tiny adjoining bathroom space for us to disrobe (not a big deal), and no place for us to secure valuables (bigger deal). Worst of all, other hotel employees kept wandering into that bathroom and the adjacent space. You're not really in a secluded area; feels like a random room they decided to try doing massages in.
- The massage tables had no hole for our faces, so we had to turn our heads for 60 minutes. Really not conducive to relaxation.
- After the massages, scrub, and sauna were complete, they kindly offered us some water and fruit (nice!), but it took them 20 minutes for them to find a place for us to shower and get changed (not great!). They ultimately let us use an unused hotel room, which was kind, but this felt very sloppy.
Overall, there are far better places to get massages in Tanzania. The hotel grounds were nice, and the restaurant is very good, but the skip the "spa".
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC
Response from OnseaHouse, Eigenaar at Onsea House & Machweo Retreat
Responded 11 May 2020
Dear Aostarello, Many thanks for your review and appreciation of the hotel grounds, the restaurant and the friendly staff. We regret that the experience with our spa was not good , despite it got multiple times rated as best spa wellness in Arusha and one the best in Tanzania (and one of the few featuring also both steam bath and sauna). You were almost the last person who experienced our wellness facilities before the temporary closure of our spa. This decision has been made consciously in an attempt to minimize the risk to our staff and customers from infection of the Covid-19 virus that has hit globally. Despite the serious repercussions to our staff and our small business that will arise from this decision, we feel it is the safest action under the current circumstances and one that was taken in agreement in between our staff and the management. During this closing time, our team has actioned your comments: - Regular Rates: US$ 90 is the price for a 90 minutes program (US$ 75 would be the price for a 75 minutes session which is however not on our program and indicates that the service was likely 15 minutes short). US$ 90 is our regular rate for all 90 minutes programs and is very competitive value including use of steam bath or sauna and unlimited use of the swimming pool afterwards. - Resident Rates: we will offer from the re-opening onwards also special Resident Rates which come at 60 USD / 138,000 TZS incl. VAT for this 90 minutes program. We have also 30 minutes treatments at 20 USD / 46,000 TZS incl. VAT - Staff: junior staff will no longer be allowed to do Swedish or other massages - Valuables: there will be a place to secure valuables in the wellness area - Massage tables: will be replaced - Speed of service: will be improved - Shower facilities: will be fixed Next to this our team will also work on new standard operating procedures and guest protocols taking into account new safety procedures we learned from this Covid-19 pandemic. Our friendly staff can't wait to have you and other guests back as soon as it is safe to travel and open again.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC