We were planning to spend 2 night in this accommodation. The first night, most of the people in our room kept going in and out all the night until 4:06 in the morning. The the first ones woke up 6:30 , then 8:30 so we could sleep only 2h and a half, plus may be one our in the morning. Plus it was a mess inside, difficult to cross the room at night, smell of shoes and socks, horrible !!! No curtains on the windows, so there is light all the night. The check out is 10 Am so you can even got some sleep back in the morning otherwise, you loose your deposit or they might keep your passport until you pay extra money. The check in is 1 AM, but the staff came 9:30 to take the covers. Dirty toilets. We decided to leave the next morning to another place.
I always read reviews about the accommodation where we plan to stay, but among a lot of spontaneous decisions and events we found ourselves behind Surf n Snow’s receptionist desk without knowing anything about this hostels famous reputation. Our receptionist was a really nice and friendly guy who gave us a last double room that was available that day..we wanted to stay for three nights ,but LUCKILY this place was booked out..how that is even possible??! Still a huge mystery for us. We were in a really big hurry so we dropped our things in the room and went back quite late thinking about a good shower and dreaming about just relaxing in the bed.. In reality we got back to the room and we were thinking that by accident we got a room that isn’t cleaned yet. Carpet was so dirty full of brown stains and never seen a vacuum cleaner in his carpet life. Walls had mold on them!!! I mean..MOLD..like bad for your health MOLD! Bed was full of all kinds of brown and red stains and black HAIR...HAIR EVERYWHERE!!! Hair on the pillows, hair on the blanket, hair in the shower..hair...hair..hair..Shower was so hairy that I was wearing my shoes and washed myself in two minutes because I felt that I just got more dirty by staying there. It was so disgusting that we were afraid to even go under the blanket so we ended up using our beach towel as a blanket. We were thinking that okay let’s not be fuzzy and let’s be positive BUT then During the night my partner got some kind of red bites (?) all over his body..and this is also a reason why I am writing about our experience over here..it is not okay to put people in such situation that they just feel disgusted and violated..it’s not okay to ruin people’s holidays like that..it’s not okay to to let people stay in the rooms where you even don’t bother changing the sheets..it’s not okay at all that this place even exists. It is safer to stay the night in a park than to go and try to sleep at Surf N Snow. Please close this place down!
Also Cool receptionist guy..if you read this then know that you deserve a better place where to work!
Don’t stay in this hostel even though it’s the cheapest around!!
We had to stay here because our old hostel was fully booked (Attic backpackers, waaay better !!!)
It’s really disgusting everywhere (food all over the floor and elevator)
The beds were broken and they fixed a whole dorm bed at 10pm when we wanted to sleep!
There were people eating in the room and the smell was disgusting. When we asked if they can please eat outside, because it was 1100 and we wanted to sleep, they said really rude that we should get a private room.
Maybe the hostel needs to make rules that people can not eat in the rooms. When we said that to the reception, they said that people come from different culture and they can not do anything about it. Well, in other hostels they have rules to not eat in the room. So yes you can do something about it and make that rule as well!
The showers are freezing cold
The kitchen is too small and no storage in the fridge.
Wifi is only available at reception and not even working.
We had the feeling the reception doesn’t take our complaints serious. They also said that this hostel is the cheapest around. That’s true but that doesn’t mean that it has to be dirty???
The poor experience starts with the locked coded door operated by the unattentive staff on the floor above. Once you pass the first grinding trial you are then faced with a lift that pays as much attention as the “front” desk.
Onto the bedroom. NOT GREAT AT ALL! Virtually a mattress on the floor with stain covered bed cloths. The window wouldn’t close leaving us exposed to the screams of the extreme sports fans of Auckland hyping up the big trampoline below.
The kitchen got one look and no more. I wouldn’t recommend even going this far.
However, it does have a decent location.
The worst hostel I’ve stayed in! Our room was dirty, mould on the walls, holes in the walls, curtains broken and windows smashed. The kitchen was so filthy so we struggled to cook any meal in there. However we accepted the dirtiness until we found a massive pile of blood on the floor! This wasn’t cleaned up until the evening which demonstrates the lack of cleaning in this place.