Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- A must if you are in the area - that simple. Sandy beach, great waves - soooo relaxing 😌
Make a point to visitWritten 23 January 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Great place to get away and have a walk . Easy enough walk
Helped by beautiful weather and scenery . Not too far off the beaten track .Written 14 October 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Went to this island, otherwise known as Donut Island, with an experienced kayak company. They made the trip so easy with their experience / guidance. The day we went out was quite serene compared to the day before so it was less arduous than I thought.Written 22 January 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Just went in to kill time before heading out of Whangamata. Interesting selection of art works and other artefacts.Written 10 May 2019
- If you want to see ( or purchase) NZ native Kauri art then this gallery is a ‘must see’. Tony and his 8 year old son Matt have an impressive gallery of Kauri art, and Tony is enthusiastic about what can be found in this magnificent ancient timber.
Not to be missed, and perhaps the piece of art you are looking for might just be there.Written 17 February 2021
- a most enjoyable trip taking us through the peninsula and it’s many viewpoints. and much more including some great info sharing on flora and fauna by our super guide Christine. as well as a stop for a nutritious lunch at a heavenly garden restaurant.Written 25 November 2023
- Was just perfect. Massage was so relaxing. I came away feeling amazing. Was the best massage I have had.Written 30 December 2019
- Had a great time surfing in a solo lesson with Megan. She was encouraging when i was failing and succeeding. She celebrated my successes with me and gave me tips when i didnt quite get it. Managed a 50/50 wave catch rate because of her
Shout out to Megan for making my first surfing experience so amazing. It truly felt like flying every time i stood upWritten 25 November 2023
- Kids (22&18) had surf lessons, I did morning yoga, we all did the Donut Island kayaking and I had a private SUP lesson. ALL excellent totally recommendWritten 27 February 2023
- Fantastic experience - girls had a blast! Instructor Meg was really knowledgeable and friendly, and really encouraging. Great value for money and would highly recommend.Written 19 January 2023
- These guys are great - excellent customer service. We freedom hired two kayaks - a dbl and a single. Once out at Whenuakura Island we waited for a group to go in before us. This meant we had the interior to ourselves. Awesome experience- highly recommend Pedal and Paddle!Written 6 February 2023
- Absolutely fantastic trip. We booked this charter for my sons 7th birthday. We loved it, kids had a great time and Ian was fantastic. Will definitely be using fish on charters again maybe an overnight trip to great barrier cant wait.Ian really accomodated to my young familys needs. Thankyou so much Ian and Julie my son loved his 7th birthdayWritten 27 November 2021
- Great experience, wonderful day. Awesome service. Did the kayak trip. Six in the group. Recommend 100%.Written 16 January 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Whangamata
- The best outdoor activities in Whangamata according to Tripadvisor travellers are: See all outdoor activities in Whangamata on Tripadvisor