- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
16 places sorted by traveller favourites
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- It's a nice beach with nice views out to the islands. We're dog walkers, rather than surfers, and it's great to be able to take the fur buddies along.
There was a group of dottrels too, which was a bonus, but something to be careful about if you also have dogs.Written 19 July 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A very lovely bush walk to a surprisingly beautiful waterfall.
You can walk for hours past it if you're that way inclined, but the waterfall was our destination.
It's a reasonable walk, a good track all the way but a fairly steady climb for much of the outbound journey.
I'm not sure it's wheelchair-friendly, unless you have some strong helpers for the long uphills and occasional water crossings
We were three, late 60s and early 70s, not trampers and not especially fit, and we did it without drama.
You will reach a sign showing top of falls a few minutes further up the track, and a lookout of the lower falls down a steep path.
The top of the falls is virtually just around the corner from the sign, closer than the sign implies. But that's not the best view. You can scarcely see any of the falls from there.
But even if you're tired, take the steep walk down to the viewing platform for the lower part of the falls - it's delightful and well worth the small extra effort.
Photos can't do it justice. I tried to create a vertical panorama and messed up. So my posted photos look pretty ordinary.
It's a very tall, very narrow, two-part fall. The first third lands in a pool, and then spills over into a longer section that disappears into the bush before it strikes the river out of sight.
I could have stood there for an hour just drinking in the sight and the tranquility.
A misty cool day in early winter, we still took our jackets off on the walk. The bush shields you quite well from the wind and the drizzle, and possibly from the summer sun, but if you do it in summer I suggest your bring your togs. These mountain streams are "refreshing", though I didn't see many real swimming holes on this walk. But I'm sure you'd manage.Written 2 June 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The way to experience this is by kayak and pedal and paddle looked after us well, they also are very respectful of the environmentWritten 16 July 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Just went in to kill time before heading out of Whangamata. Interesting selection of art works and other artefacts.Written 10 May 2019
- Was just perfect. Massage was so relaxing. I came away feeling amazing. Was the best massage I have had.Written 30 December 2019
- Absolutely fantastic! Great guide. Great knowledge.
We did the Coromandel tour. Really made the visit to NZ very memorable
.Had several photo blown up and on our walls.Written 4 October 2021
- A totally amazing experience with magical views. The tour guide was fantastic, very knowledgeable. Great value for money and the teens loved it. We will definitely do this again!Written 27 April 2022
- I stayed in the winter quiet time. It was great place to stay overnight. I checked all the beaches east coast to come back to surf in summer time. I definitely come back. Thank you Tim.Written 8 August 2019
- Awesome hour on the water, with family of three. Highly recommend. Great teachers. Lots of fun. Operate out of a trailer beside the carpark. Wetsuits provided. Owner operators.Written 21 September 2020
- Absolutely fantastic trip. We booked this charter for my sons 7th birthday. We loved it, kids had a great time and Ian was fantastic. Will definitely be using fish on charters again maybe an overnight trip to great barrier cant wait.Ian really accomodated to my young familys needs. Thankyou so much Ian and Julie my son loved his 7th birthdayWritten 27 November 2021
- We had a great trip out to Whenakura Island, a easy paddle for 2 hours, the boat was great and the equipment in great condition, we felt very well looked after by Chris the owner and would highly recommend the experience. My team mate on the double kayak felt like we were in the pacific.Written 16 July 2021
- Great experience, wonderful day. Awesome service. Did the kayak trip. Six in the group. Recommend 100%.Written 16 January 2021
- If you want to see ( or purchase) NZ native Kauri art then this gallery is a ‘must see’. Tony and his 8 year old son Matt have an impressive gallery of Kauri art, and Tony is enthusiastic about what can be found in this magnificent ancient timber.
Not to be missed, and perhaps the piece of art you are looking for might just be there.Written 17 February 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Whangamata
- The best outdoor activities in Whangamata according to Tripadvisor travellers are: See all outdoor activities in Whangamata on Tripadvisor
- The most popular things to do in Whangamata with children according to Tripadvisor travellers are:See all kid friendly things to do in Whangamata on Tripadvisor