Bodies of Water
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- Great location for a day trip. Beautiful views of the lake and plenty of hiking opportunities. I’m not sure how crowded it gets during peak season but it was very peaceful when we were there in August.Written 5 September 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- bloody...amazing views.......good beer too...must go there again...and again...when I have money...and when to holidays to bali gets to much...Written 23 September 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I really enjoyed my time at the Snow Farm. The service was great - we hired snowshoes but in the end didn't use them so I got a refund. The hut we stayed in was brand new - only a year old and was very warm and comfortable with a well-equipped kitchen. Signage on the paths was very clear so you couldn't really get lost. I would have loved an inside loo though I know that's possible.Written 1 October 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Went at 8 am. Car lot was full but enough in overflow. Great to see sheep and lambs. Took my partner and I five hours return. That includes stop throughout to see the views & sheep, 20 minute stop at the view point and 20 minutes at the top for lunch. Would recommend going in the morning when the wind is at its lowest. Would recommend for sure.Written 14 November 2023
- An absolute joy to do this trip! We drove from Wanaka and the scenery was exceptional. There was a little bit of snow that the kids enjoyed.Written 25 June 2023
- It took me a bit longer than my long legged husband, but I believe in the hare and the turtle. I got there in the end. What an amazing view from the top and a well earned joy to see.
The track is rough, and best in dry weather and during daylight hours. Great!Written 5 June 2023
- This is so worth the money for entry we started at the start and we’re amazed by the selection of toys, from Star Wars to Barbie to a fabulous selection of 80’s toys. The list could go on…and that’s just one room!
There are four hangers in total and each one of them holds a range of toys, collections and transportation, including cars, planes and trains.
There is an amazing collection on pedal cars for both young and old and a couple of old planes that you can go into.
You could easily spend a whole day wondering around looking and exploring, always finding something new that you hadn’t seen before.
To think that this is the collection of one man is pretty spectacular!
Well recommend going and seeing this!Written 6 October 2023
- Visited in May 2023
Free entry and located outside of Wanaka (1hr drive one way), the Blue Pools have a decent amount of parking as well as ones that are big enough for campervans.
The track is approximately 20min (one way) and is an easy walk that is suitable for all ages. Majority of the trail is along the roaring Makarora River past some very jungle-y ferns scenery until the confluence of the Blue River where the sight of the blue pools are. There is a suspension bridge that crosses this confluence which allows visitors to admire this turquoise beauty over the top of it.
At the Blue pools before the suspension bridge, there is a track that goes down to the river bed which during low water level, you could walk on the exposed river bed of rocks.
Beautiful stop for a short hike and free entry makes this a good stopover even if it is just to see the clear turquoise blue waters. Suitable for all ages.Written 3 October 2023
- Fantastic...best we have had...will buy more b 4 price goes up
We have now made two purchasers from this great winery, over 6 dozen bottles
Its in our option the best in NZ, hand crafted and all with REAL flavor, try the Chardy Riesling & Pino Gris all fantastic - as is there Pino full range
Did i mention the racing ducks, ohh yes they are a sight to see
Make shore you allow some time, as there's plenty to see & toast, and Ian is a great host and has some marvelous stories to relate
PS Tips, they ship all around the world, and not much extra - ask about there accommodation and the free camping i the vineyards [could be free with wine purchase]Written 5 May 2023
- Went in to the tourist information as we turned up in Wanaka without too much idea of what we wanted to do other than go on some walks and maybe taste some wine, and the staff were so welcoming and helpful and gave us great advice based on the weather and what roads were open (one of the main ones was closed). Thanks so much!Written 7 November 2023
- We went in late sept as we saw Puzzling World had a couple of buses arrive so we shot a few hundred metres past it to grab a coffee here- much to my dismay no coffee only tea!!!
There is honey tasting inside and you can pay for a farm tour which is a self guided thing there was probably only two other families so it felt like we had the place almost to ourselves which was nice.
Farm is big and a bit of a walk, a couple of things to do for the kids and some great photo opportunities. Unfortunately the lavender not in bloom at this time of year but you can see it would look spectacular when it is!
There are a number of animals to see but not pat or itneract with which is fine but I can understand some may want this so best to know you can’t feed or touch them.
Entry to farm was reasonable I think $22 for a familyWritten 30 September 2023
- Beautiful walk taking you into an alpine environment. I would rate it up there with Hooker Valley. From the valley floor with the beautiful Blue Matukituki river, up through Beech forest, then out io the Upper lookout in alpine vegetation. To the stunning views of the Rob Roy Glacier. It has a bit of everything.
Cool drive in with some fun fords towards the end - watch for stock! Park at Raspberry Creek picnic area and follow the well marked track. Cross the swing bridge - take photos up the valley, and then climb steadily through the Beech forest. Lower lookout at 4km, but make sure you carry onto the upper lookout, another 1 km on. Beautiful views of glacier and waterfalls coming off it. Do it!Written 24 April 2023
- Taking the walk/short drive out to Rippon is well worth the trip! This relatively small vineyard produces some delicious wines, and you get to try 4 during this free tasting. We came away with a great understanding of the different grapes, and how growing them in this specific region affected the taste. The guide was well informed and engaging and we bought a reasonably priced bottle at the end.Written 7 November 2023
- Stunning little walk, great views over the small diamond lake as well as the larger lakes. It is a bit steep if you want to go to the top. At the lower sections there are stairs, and there are lots of points to stop and look at views, where you can turn around if you dont fancy the full route. The path also gets a little dicey near the top, very slippy if wet and a bit of scrambling so don't go to the top unless confident. Good if you want to fill a morning/afternoon.Written 15 November 2023
- Fab hike! Pretty steep so bring plenty of food and water. Very well marked paths though so you won't get lost, and the views up the top are stunning. It was pretty busy the day we went as Roys peak was closed. Would also recommend going early so you're not going up in peak of sun. Be careful to get down before dark too as there are loose stones.Written 15 November 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about Wanaka
- The best day trips from Wanaka according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Arrowtown and Wanaka Highlights Tour from Queenstown
- Arrowtown and Wanaka Platinum Tour from Queenstown
- Wine Tasting Adventure Wanaka and Beyond
- Paradise Valley Full Day Tour
- Private Full Day Photo Tour of Queenstown | Skippers | Glenorchy | Wanaka |Otago
Wanaka Attractions Information
|Sunday 1:18 am|