Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- The views here are truly spectacular, and the genius way they have spaced out the cottages means you feel like you're the only ones for miles! This is truly one of the most unique places you will ever stay.
The space is small but perfectly designed; cozy places to sit, a tiny kitchenette and lovely bathroom are all you really need besides a big soft bed. You can even enjoy a big outdoor tub under the stars!
Be aware - when the sun comes up you will cook a bit; recommend after enjoying the stars from bed the night before that you pull the window shades to protect from the sun in the morning. The hosts kindly leave eye masks in the bathroom which I used the second night and slept much better!
Bring some wine with you and enjoy the unique atmosphere at Skyscape. We stayed here during our time visiting Lake Tekapo and found ourselves not wanting to leave! It is about an hour drive to Tekapo.Written 25 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Stopped here on our way to Mt. Cook, didn't look like much from the outside, but the salmon options were plentiful and delicious! Do stop in and try some!Written 11 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Amazing sashimi & sushi - such good value and so fresh. The place is busy, but the line moves quickly and there’s plenty of outdoor seating. Kids can feed the fish.Written 14 July 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We came by to ski the Ohau Ski Fields and stayed at Ohau Lodge. I couldn't see many places where a car could park in the area to access the beach. There were a few close to the lodge entrance. I walked down from the lodge and got onto the beach on foot. You do need to walk through a bit of bush but it was quite sparse so no need in squeezing between plants.
The beach is stone and the lake is very calm. The mountains surrounding it were quite breathtaking and very nice to look at. It was a quiet and enjoyable walk along the lakefront. There were a few trees to sit under but it was mostly uncovered. There was also a creek which you had to cross with the help of a fallen log.Written 2 October 2022
- Highest peak in the southern Alps, poised in the Mount Cook National Park. It provides panoramic views encompassing glaciers and ice cliffs.Written 7 January 2021
- Lake Ruataniwha is an artificial lake in the Mackenzie Basin which was formed as part of the hydroelectric project.Written 7 January 2021
- New Zealand Alpine Lavender is a beautiful lavender farm which is nestled in a sheltered valley. Great views.Written 7 January 2021
- Staff were able to find much information about the local area as well as detailed weather forecasts for certain areas
Also where you can hire the Frisbees for the disc golf courseWritten 3 October 2020
- The facility is mainly for the conservation work, and the tours are an educational add-on rather than the main purpose of the hide. The tour certainly educated me about the state of the Kaka, and was very interesting and varied. I wish it had been made a little easier to photograph the captive birds, however.Written 3 January 2014
- Twizel Walkway, the Twizel River and the man made hill is surrounded in the Mackenzie Basin. It is a short circular walk.Written 7 January 2021
- What an amazing place, run by amazing people, with amazing spirits. If you’re in Twizel, you need to visit this amazing place. Thank you Matt and Tracey for your hospitality and an overall fabulous afternoon! Big loves to Chloe xxxWritten 21 October 2023
- This ride was one of the highlights of the year. The 350kms (without an E Bike) felt like quite an achievement. Jude was totally organised. Our gear was collected every day and delivered to our next stop. The bikes were perfect, accommodation great and great breakfasts and lunches. The nights when we had an evening meal were also fantastic.
The scenery was breath taking and quite varied. I'm not sure which was my favorite part of the ride as every day was brilliant.
I think this trip was great value for money.Written 31 December 2020
- This is a truly amazing little bookshop.
Renee can find any book we ask for - can recommend books for anyone - just say who its for - age etc and there you go! My grandkids adore the books they got for xmas form the Twizel Bookshop. I enjoy the books I get there as well.Written 11 February 2020
- This flight definitely is a once-in-a-lifetime experience! Seeing Lake Pukaki, the glaciers and Mount Cook from above is absolutely stunning. Chris is a super experienced pilot with such a huge knowledge about the area and great stories to tell. We headed to the airfield on a sunny day and were somehow speechless soaking in the views we had throughout the flight. We even flew a turn around Mount Cook which was amazing! Thanks Chris for this experience, we hope many more travellers from all over the world get to enjoy your hospitality, the flight and the beautiful nature of New Zealand! Cheers :)Written 13 November 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about Twizel
- The best day trips from Twizel according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Mt Cook Small Group Tour from Queenstown with Optional Activities
- Mt Cook & Hooker Valley Hike Small Group Tour from Queenstown
- Full-Day Guided Sightseeing Tour of Mount Cook from Queenstown
- Christchurch to Queenstown via Tekapo & Mt Cook Small Group Tour
- Mt Cook Tour & Heli Hike Combo from Queenstown
- The most popular things to do in Twizel with children according to Tripadvisor travellers are:See all kid friendly things to do in Twizel on Tripadvisor
Twizel Attractions Information
|Saturday 11:19 am|