Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- Due to the cyclone in january 2023, the path to walk to cathedral cove is damaged and too dangerous to do. It is closed. The only ways to get there is by boat (taxi who come and go pretty often) or boat tours. Beautiful scenery thoughWritten 17 October 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Great beach, clean and slopes off nicely into the water, still cleaning up after hurricaine, and slow progress was only reason for a 4Written 24 April 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Superb! The ONLY way to actually get on the cove and the only boat that will drop you on the beach bar taking a Kayak!Visited Oct 23.
First off? the walking track is closed and no one knows when it will be reopened. So if you want to actually set foot on Cathedral Coves Sandy beach? Read on.....
Hayden runs the service and is one of the nicest guys one can meet. Turns out he was educated for a while, very close to where we live in the UK. Very knowledgeable and even pointed out a blue penguin for us and stopped the boat for us to see it swimming about.
Hayden is the ONLY boat that will currently actually drop you off at Cathedral Cove so you can walk on the beach. That is if Kayaking isn't your thing. He leaves you there an hour before returning to collect you. We were incredibly lucky and privileged to be the only couple on the beach once the Kayakers had departed. We had 30 mins of solitary peace with the cove which was something I doubt we will ever repeat.
Other boats pull into the cove but do not dock and you can see them all thinking "how have they got on there?"
Hayden's prices are very fair and less than other companies we looked at. You drive to the beach, he sets up around 10am, you board his (nearly new) boat and he tells you about the area, what to do and what not to do and what wildlife he's seen lately.
I cannot stress this point enough...... Go with Hayden's Cathedral Cove Taxi service and you will not be disappointed.Written 10 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This is a beautiful beach that shouldn’t be missed in the way to cathedral cove stunning sand and surroundings made for a super pleasant visitWritten 10 January 2022
- A very enjoyable short walk for magnificent views of Hahei Beach and surroundings. We even saw a white-faced heron!Written 9 March 2023
- There are options to take taxi, hike or get one of the expensive boat rides. But being on the beach, walking inside the cove and enjoying the overall beauty of the plants is better than just seeing from far on a boat.Written 24 December 2022
- This art gallery and gift shop had a wide range of truly unique and quality gifts with a distinct local and New Zealand flavour!
You surely cannot leave empty handed!Written 9 March 2023
- Cathedral Cove Kayak Tour is one of the highlights on our trip to New Zealand. Mike runs a tight ship and hires amazing guides. Ollie a recent uni grad was an excellent guide. It was my husband’s first kayaking experience and he was initially reluctant to participate. Ollie’s patience, kindness, and expertise made my husband a fan of kayaking. I thank you Cathedral Cove Kayak Tour and Olllie for getting him over the line. We had perfect weather and the waters clear and azure. The cherry on top was seeing a large pod of dolphins frolicking nearby!! Thank you Mike and Ollie for an incredible experience!!Written 27 November 2023
- Captain Oscar did a great job of telling us the historical and geological significance of everything we visited. It was a beautiful tour, and the boat ride was super fun on top of that.Written 20 November 2023
- Had such a blast snorkeling! Everyone was extremely friendly and gave us plenty of time and freedom to explore. It's a great price and a great time. Highly recommended.Written 31 March 2023
- Highly recommended bike rental. The service was very helpfull and friendly. The bikes are powerfull and of high quality, a perfect way to discover the area. Worth every penny!Written 20 November 2023
- The gentleman who owns this place is very friendly and knowledgeable. He is passionate about his farm and let’s you explore at no cost. The treats and souvenirs are also delicious.Written 1 December 2022
- A little difficult to get in and out of but great snorkelling once you’re in we saw tons of snapper and huge schools of bait fishWritten 11 January 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Hahei