Top Attractions in Virginia City
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- We had a great time in Virginia city and this place was one of the main reasons for visiting. We will return and take in more.Written 30 June 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- It’s amazing to see such a beautiful church in a remote place. This is the kind of church you would find in a metropolitan city: ornate, intricate wooden carvings throughout, beautiful stained glass windows. There is a free museum down around the back with history and artifacts. If you like churches, check it out!Written 28 March 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I am a resident of Nevada and have toured most of the haunted places in VC, including staying the whole night in The Washoe Club. This was, by far, the most exciting paranormal experience. Dawn, our guide, was very helpful and was able to tell us the history of Mackay Mansion while we were engaging with the spirits of the home. Dawn also provided our whole group with ghost hunting tools!! Not only did the LED lights light up , doors were shutting on there own. I caught all the action on my I-phone camera. If anyone is interested in talking with the dead, this is a must see attraction. Thanks again Dawn for such a great night, hope to return soon.Written 2 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- He was very informative and very nice. Bought a bundle of different attractions. Very glad we stopped here first to help us plan our visit.Written 9 August 2022
- If you visit have some good walking shoes and plan on enough time to walk through the area. It can get quite windy.Written 18 June 2022
- You need an hour or less but this is a fun stop to help understand the area and the role of mining. We found it interesting and you don't need a lot of time for the visit. Worth a gander.Written 28 September 2021
- We were here when they first started fixing this up. They have done a wonderful job. Very nice museum.Written 9 August 2022
- For $10.00, the best entertainment value in Virginia City.
The show was filled with clever puns and cowboy wit, amazing gun twirling, audience participation, and home spun humor. The actors stayed after the performance to take photos and to give special attention to kids and the elderly.
Come early to get a seat in the shade, bring a cold drink and be ready for loud noises and lots of sunshine. The afternoon show cancelled due to rain so attend the earliest show possible. You can buy tickets at the door or purchase on-line to guarantee a seat on holiday weekends. Bring a hat and sunscreen.Written 10 August 2022
- In a small town full of history, this big building stands out and you will definitely notice it. If possible, take a tour.Written 9 November 2021
- Pictures turned out great. Very happy we stopped it was poring outside and it was the end of the day . Staff were verWritten 9 August 2022
- This marker pays tribute to the many mines of the Comstock Lode. The unimaginable wealth that poured out of the Comstock financed the Union army in the Civil war, built the opulence of San Francisco, affected world markets, and financed institutions that still affect the way we live today.
The Comstock sparked numerous innovations in mine engineering as well as timber harvesting and railroad and milling technology. It built Virginia City into the most important city between Denver and SF. The marker features ore stone from every county in Nevada. When you stand on the streets of Virginia City, there are over 600 miles of tunnels and shafts beaneath your feet. They looked for a pay off everywhere but the bonanza finds were over by 1880.
You are in the midst of real wild west history when you are there.Written 4 December 2019
- We stopped in here the other day for lunch. The place was busy and service a little slow but not bad. Food was really good though. A nice menu to choose from and reasonable prices. I had a chicken club and it was really good. Wife had the BLT and she liked it well.
A neat bar-saloon-restaurant with charm. Will return the next time we are in town.Written 21 July 2019
- I haven't been here for over 50 years. Had to show my wife what an old western town looks like. Many many souvenir shops to choose from and lots to look at. We both enjoyed this experience, and had to buy some nik naks.Written 27 November 2020
- The kids really enjoyed this museum. This was a real nice treat. Loved all the patches the kids enjoyed finding the ones from firehouse near us.Written 9 August 2022
- I was extremely surprised by the Beauty of all items for sale. To buy a souvenir from this place is the best souvenir You can get based from the Comstock Lode and the history offre the Town. I strongly recommend to visit the Marshall Mint Museum.Written 29 November 2018
Frequently Asked Questions about Virginia City
- The most popular things to do in Virginia City with children according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- St. Mary in the Mountains Catholic Church
- Fourth Ward School Museum
- The Way It Was Museum
- Virginia & Truckee Railroad
- Virginia City Visitor Center