Popular things to do
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- Amazing colors and textures. I felt like I was inside Alice in Wonderland. The artist lives here and also does her own gardening. Disappointed there is no gift shop. Also when I purchased a delicious cold lemon ginger drink at the end of my visit, it was served in glassware and there is zero provision for paper cups or anything to take with you. Since weren’t in a hurry, I was able to sit in the garden and enjoy. However, it would be a kindness if there were signage to the effect that there is no provision to takeaway or ‘to go’.Written 1 December 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- What a find on our day out to Akaroa! Such a gorgeous set up, run by a fantastic couple that proved to be great hosts. The free wine tasting was stunning and we ordered a platter which was fantastic. There’s loads of places to choose to sit (we chose the beanbags on the lawn!) They let you walk up the path through the vineyard which gives a gorgeous view overlooking the peninsula too. We’ll definitely be back and bringing friends and family next time. ☺️Written 8 December 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We loved this museum. It's a great showcase of local history. Beautifully displayed.
Staff were friendly and knowledgeable.Written 14 September 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- An absolute must-visit for locals and tourists. Such a beautiful, well-kept piece of New Zealand natural forest with hours of walks (short or long, you can choose how long you want to spend) Lovely waterfalls and native bird life to see as well. We spent 4 1/2 hours walking and have plenty to see still, so we will be back for more visits. The track was mostly easy with just a few hairy bits where there had been slips and work was still taking place but you just had to take your time & it was fine.
Hats off to the caretaker(s) of Hinewai, you have and are doing a brilliant job! Thank you for this treasure :)Written 11 January 2023
- Great Garden of Tane
Great place to come for a walk and an explore with the kids. Nicely maintained pathways through the forest.
Has a playground in the middle of it.
Lovely trails leading out to views of the harbour.
It isn’t a garden per say, it is a forest. Not floral arrangements or plantings.
It offers some protection from the rain, so a good option to explore on the wet day if you have raincoats and gumboots.Written 3 October 2023
- Fabulous Fisherman’s Bay
Well worth the drive over if you like gardens.
The hosts were very friendly and welcoming.
It was family friendly and they brought out games and toys for our young children to play with.
The gardens were loved and well taken care of.
We spent two hours here exploring and enjoying a complimentary coffee in their barn afterwards.
Lovely views of the cliffs and ocean.
Very picturesque.Written 3 October 2023
- This stunning little church is so worth a visit, not only to pray but to appreciate the stillness and also the beauty of the building.Written 30 September 2022
- We stopped by at the Lighhouse during our visit to Akaroa. It is a pretty iconic landmark in town and up close its even more impressive. The views of the coves and open seas are stunning. Very picturesque. Highly recommended.Written 15 April 2023
- We strolled this memorial grounds while visiting Akaroa. Thoughtful memorial and peaceful grounds flanked by nearby shops. Would recommend a visit.Written 18 April 2023
- Kudos to the landowners who created this wonderful track! It has a little of everything - beautiful panoramic ridge views, waterfalls and forest walks, and the opportunity to see seals and penguins. The huts were amazing - each with their own special touches. I particularly loved Stony Bay and the outdoor bath. I decided to do the 2 Day option which meant longer days walking and missing one of the huts but I loved it and didn't feel it was too difficult if you are used to tramping. The 3 Day walk would be a great way to get to spend more time on the track and Banks Peninsula, particularly if you are traveling with a group of people. Highly recommend this track and I would go back again with friends!Written 20 April 2023
- Beautiful walk. Went to scout it out to see if my almost 3 year old could walk it, but it was quite long and uphill. Took about 30 minutes to get up and 20 back as it was all down hill. Wouldn't recommend prams as it can get narrow.
Really enjoyed the view at the end of it.Written 3 December 2023
- We had an excellent and educational wine tasting with Alan at his organic winery just outside Akaroa on the beautiful Banks Peninsula.
They make a great range of wines which are only available at the cellar door (open every day).
We strongly recommend a visit!Written 27 November 2023
- From quite a plain drab exterior led to a rich wooden interior. Such a special little church just down from the Giant's House. I was so surprised to fid this little gem open to the world and not a soul in sightWritten 29 June 2022
- Wonderfully restored buidling, great selection of reference books to read and a little bookshop in the front of the building. The volunteer local hosts are delightful and have great local knowledge.Written 22 July 2023
- Pleasant little gallery with a range of different styles of local art. As other reviewers have said, worth popping into.Written 12 March 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about Akaroa
- The best day trips from Akaroa according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Akaroa Full Day Sightseeing Tour from Christchurch
- Akaroa and Banks Peninsula Wild Penguins Tour
- Akaroa Shore Excursion: Banks Peninsula, Christchurch City Tour and the International Antarctic Centre
- Akaroa and Banks Peninsula Small Group Tour (Nature Cruise or Dolphin Swim)
- Akaroa Private Day Tour From Christchurch (Carbon Neutral)
Akaroa Attractions Information
|Sunday 4:59 am|