Popular things to do
Top Attractions in Nelson
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- A huge collection, very informative and beautifully designed.
Their are 2 full buildings of classics, the decor is very in tune with the age of the cars around it.
Very easy to spend an hour here without realising. There is a cafe on site however it was very busy and there were not tables.
Only downside is we attended on a very cold day, being large buildings it was a bit chilly, so take something warm!
But we’ll worth the cold.Written 4 June 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Great walk to Centre of NZ with fantastic views over Nelson when you reach the top. A must do on a nice day in NelsonWritten 4 June 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Beautiful beach with plenty of room for everyone. Paddle boarders, canoes and swimmers all able to enjoy this lovely piece of paradise. Accommodation and restaurants close by makes it a holiday wimmer.Written 17 April 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Worth the walk to explore this lovely classic garden. Have to return to explore the cafe that borders it in the art gallery.Written 23 November 2021
- Neat weekend activity if your around Nelson and want something to do.
Definitely well worth a look, grab a coffee & support the locals 👌Written 19 April 2022
- Notable Tours left 40 folks to explore this heritage village by themselves for a couple of hours. Everybody had a great time, favourites were the Newmans' bus display (with iconic TV ad), the Bristol Freighter and the little apothecary. Great organisation and service from the cafe as well - highly recommend for a group of older folks as a lovely place to snoop around for an hour or so.Written 21 May 2022
- It's an easy stroll along the gently sloping pristine beach with stunning views to Nelson, the western hills or Tasman Bay.Written 9 June 2022
- Had one of the best ever afternoons with the kids here. The staff were friendly and engaged with the children and the kids ran around safely and happily. They got to feed the bunnies as well with a very kind staff member. Brilliant play facilities, we spent ages in the sandpit and on the slides and wished we had brought a picnic too. It was all very clean, safe and tidy. The kids were obsessed with the pigs and lemurs. I am so glad a facility like this exists in Nelson.Written 4 July 2022
- What a nice friendly Church to visit
It's easy to find with its tall bell tower
The Church is in two sections, the alter and organ areas being more modern than the rest.
Nice stained glass windows
Set in nice gardens with steps from the town centreWritten 21 May 2022
- Easy to find in the main shopping centre
A very reasonable admission fee
Very interesting exhibits about the local history. Kept us interested as we wandered around.Written 21 May 2022
- Great place to wander around. Interesting and well laid out. Great for an evening stroll. Plenty of room for the kids to fun aroundWritten 22 March 2021
- Sadly due to covid we could not get inside of this beautiful historic home but the grounds are beautiful, full of old roses that actually have a scent, such a pity it wasn't open.Written 13 March 2022
- My wife and I walked the 30 mins from the Triangle Flat carpark (via Freeman Access Road) to the Ocean Beach and left to Fossil Point. Generally a pretty easy walk for the most part with a few styles to climb over the fences (livestock - sheep and cattle are about but were just observers) and the only steeper part a narrow track toward the beach end where you walked down to the beach and the uphill return trip back.
Once back at the carpark we walked the inside of the spit for a bit, but there was a lot of debris such as logs and seagrasses that had been washed up making the beach less inviting and a bit of an obstacle course.
A beautiful autumn day, warm and sunny, but not too hot for walking.
The road is sealed for the most part to this point with only the final part gravel.Written 17 April 2022
- Such a lovely walk. Takes about an hour each way with moderate walking, great for the family and dogs too. One river crossing and a couple of small slips but other than those it's a perfect walk. Little muddy when walking up from the waterfalls to the top picnic area but worth it. Take your togs for a swim in the river and/or under the waterfall. There is one big bridge, one medium bridge and a couple of small ones. Take some snacks, nuts, fruits etc and plenty of water.Written 9 February 2020
- Absolutely stunning views and definitely worth the hike. The sign says about 3.5hrs each way but we did it in about 2 hours there and 2 hours back. The walk is primarily out in the sun so definitely need a hat, sunscreen, and lots of water! There are toilets spread out along the way which all have lovely views too :)Written 20 November 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Nelson
- The best day trips from Nelson according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Full-Day Abel Tasman National Park Hiking Tour with Cruise
- Self-Guided Nelson to Mapua Cycle Adventure
- Heli-Picnic The Wild North West
- Chauffeur Tour Transfers from Blenheim or Picton - Top of The South NZ
- Heli-Cruise Abel Tasman - The Best of Both Worlds