54 places sorted by traveller favourites
- Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
We perform checks on reviews.
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
Showing results 1-30 of 54
What travellers are saying
- So cool to take a family the art the relaxed atmosphere the steam punk is so awesome would definitely go again even if we didn’t see a penguinWritten 21 October 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We used CycleVentures for this trip and it was absolutely fantastic! This made our trip to New Zealand so much more informative and interesting by riding a bike through the landscape and staying at local hotels and bed and breakfasts. Mark and Lewis at Cycle Ventures were just over the top with their customer service and guiding. We felt like we were saying goodbye to close friends by the time we left. Book directly with CycleVentures for the best rates.
We can't recommend CycleVentures and this ride too highly! Seriously.Written 12 March 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Maybe I expected large boulders and not big golf balls but despite the size these rock formations along the beach were interesting and worthy of a visit.Written 17 March 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This was a lovely, if short, stop for us on our drive from Dunedin and Christchurch. We were there on a weekend, when there were little shops and craft spots open. The parks are great -- very family friendly and very open. Unfortunately, we didn't see penguins on this day.Written 3 November 2023
- Late Victorian buildings fill almost the whole of the centre of Oamaru which makes it a very attractive area. It was a real joy to walk around the area. However, we failed to get too excited because almost every English town has similar buildings. Oamaru must be congratulated for making a toiurist attraction out of its buildings.Written 30 November 2023
- Great interesting*museum with quirky and hands on exhibits. Helpful and friendly staff. Good short movie about the history of the region. Nice location. Pay by donation.Written 12 March 2023
- The restoration of the old farm buildings on this Heritage farm site is brilliant. The grounds are well kept and the information provided as you walk around the farm gives a really clear picture of what it would have been like there over 100 years ago. Annie, our guide was lovely and her cheese rolls for lunch were delicious. The view from the top of the hill where the monument dedicated to Thomas Brydone, a pioneer of NZ's frozen meat, is, was amazing. It was a lovely sunny day, which helped of course, and when there is snow on the hills it would be even more spectacular. The $12 entry fee is well worth it.Written 9 May 2023
- Bushy Beach is a perfect place to admire the scenery and the playful seals and even native wildlife.Written 9 January 2021
- My husband is a bourbon and whisky lover so of course we had to stop here. I did not taste since I am not a fan but enjoyed watching him try all of them and enjoyed talking with the bartender (is this what you call them?). Staff very friendly. My husband really liked the Dunedin Doublewood so we took a bottle back to the states with us.Written 20 October 2020
- Friendly owners - helpful over beer choices - prompt service - great decor and atmosphere - music selection also excellent! The current hours listed here are incorrect - they are open 4-8pm Monday to Friday and 12-8pm Saturday and 12-7pm Sunday.Written 29 September 2023
- What an experience.
The Artist Donna was as delightful and passionate as her paintings and Artistic creations.
I immersed myself in the glorious surroundings of her passion.
An hour was not long enough.
Thank you Donna.
You are an INSPIRATIONWritten 31 January 2021
- We did the one hour trek and all four of us are not experinced both our children had someone guiding them. They only do one trip a day to keep their horses fresh and make it the best experience. I can't speak more highly about the trip and would highly recomend booking up. Waiding through streams and through a forest. I had not ridden a horse ever and teally enjoyed it.Written 17 February 2021
- I visited Janet Frame's house on 18 January 2023. It is open from 2 - 4pm daily. It is a wonderful experience to step into Janet's childhood home and learn more about one of NZ's most talented people. The gardens are amazing too. Well worth a visit.Written 27 January 2023
- The opera house is beautiful. I did take a photo outside. It should be nice to have a chance to watch a concert or musical inside!Written 6 January 2022
- Not sure if it has moved but we visited a building in Harbour Street. The staff were very helpful and the movie giving the history of Oamaru was an oldie but goodie.
If you want you can try to mount a penny farthing bicycle, play skittles etc Once finished viewing, pay what you think it's worth.Written 21 May 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Oamaru