6 places sorted by traveller favourites
- Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
We perform checks on reviews.
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- Great rainy day activity experiencing the Repair shed for engines livery and boating relics of the past illustrating mining and timber milling industries and the way of life from the mid 1800s. Highlights were the range of fire engines across the decades and the guided tour by Gilby with all his stories to bring the exhibits alive. Highly recommend. DonationsWritten 11 April 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This lovely old building only has one room open to the public given it needs earthquake strenghtening, and sadly there seems to be few if any original features inside. But the outside of the building is a quite lovely Victorian structure. And check out the history of the building - funded by the famous Scottish-American philanthropist Andrew Carnegie.Written 8 February 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We customarily buy a piece of local art as a memento of our travels & this gallery was the perfect place to pick something up. Definitely a must see! We enjoyed the great variety available from prints to sculpture. Keep your eyes open so you don't miss a thing!Written 7 June 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The Wilderness Gallery is spectacular. You'll find crafts and photos that are stunning, in a physical space that's beautiful, welcoming, calming, and elegant. Stop in and fall in love with a beautiful photograph or piece of art.
Juergen is a delight, and he's a master photographer. Nothing's photo-shopped, his work is the real deal.Written 17 February 2023
- Great atmosphere , friendly staff relaxed feeling . Affordable pricing .
Definitely recommend a must do in Hokitika for sure family friendly ( over 8s)Written 3 December 2023
- Although I did not buy any socks here, it was wonderful to pop inside the store and see the beautiful socks that the owner makes. The machines in the back of the room are intricate. Who would’ve thought it was so difficult to make a sock? Great place to stop for a visit if you are in the area.Written 23 February 2020
Frequently Asked Questions about Hokitika
- These are the best places for budget-friendly museums in Hokitika:See more budget-friendly museums in Hokitika on Tripadvisor