4 places sorted by traveller favourites
- Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
We perform checks on reviews.
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- Our guide Ro could not have been more pleasant, knowledgeable and with her cheeky humor, a lot of fun! Great pacing, smaller vessel, beat the crowd, great photo stops. Choose this trip and company to see Milford. You won’t go wrongWritten 19 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Wow, what can we say about this awesome jet boat tour! A wonderful mix of adrenaline, spectacular scenery, and a tour guide / jet boat driver (Nicolas) who was very knowledgeable about the area and had a fantastic sense of humour! This trip should be a must do on everyone's bucket list. Thanks to the fiordland jet team for an experience we will never forget !Written 29 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Cannot praise this enough.
Tour started with a 20 min bus ride from Te Anau to Lake Mannapouri. Short wait at the cafe there, and off on the catamaran across the lake to the hydro power station. There is a small visitor centre explains things about the surroundings - quite interesting. Then picked up by our host in a mini-bus for the bumpy ride along about 20km of unsealed road to the boat for the cruise proper. We stopped a few times to look at the scenery - which we all thought was impressive. But then it got better !!
The 8 tourists boarded the small boat with two crew, and off we went. The boat has capacity for 12, so there was plenty of room. The weather was kind to us, so there was the option of sitting inside or outside. Our hosts gave an interesting commentary, explaining the scenery, geology, wildlife & history of the place.
We caught fish & Lobster that were promptly prepared for dinner, and also took out kayaks for a closer look at the shore. During the cruise a group of dolphins appeared & swam under boat - seemingly almost with touching distance.
Food was plentiful & delicious, freshly cooked on the boat. Cold & hot drinks always available.Soon after dinner the boat anchored in an isolated sound, and everything was shutdown. The silence & darkness was something I cannot remember experiencing.
Our cabin was compact, but had a small ensuite, with a functioning shower. Beds were comfy & warm.
The trip continued the next morning, with views of reflections in the unbelievably calm water, and a look at some distant penguins on the shore.
During the entire 24 hour trip around the sounds the only encounter with other people was a short & distant view of another tour boat about 2 km away. So it's all pretty peaceful & isolated.
Return was a reverse of the journey out. We were lucky with weather - no rain, only a gentle breeze and warm temperatures. But I suspect that bad weather would not spoil the experience.
Not a cheap trip, but highly recommended as a "once in a lifetime"experience.Written 30 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Great trip on Lake Te Anau with Peter. Did the Doubtful Sound Cruise with a large company the day before, and although that was beautiful there were a ton of other people and it was very impersonal - you are just another passenger. On Peter''s trip you really can relax, chat to him or other passengers on the boat or just enjoy a lovely ride with stunning surroundings. Very personal, lots of cool info and the walk to the Hidden Lake was neat. A cuppa and a muffin just at the right time.
I wish more people would find and choose to go with these small operators that love what they do - you can't beat an experience with a local.Written 4 May 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about Te Anau
- These experiences are best for eco tours in Te Anau:
- Full-Day Milford Sound Tour with Cruise and Walks from Te Anau
- Half-Day Milford Track Guided Hiking Tour
- Doubtful Sound Wilderness Cruise from Te Anau
- These are the best places for kid-friendly eco tours in Te Anau:See more eco tours for children in Te Anau on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for couples seeking eco tours in Te Anau:See more eco tours for couples in Te Anau on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for groups seeking eco tours in Te Anau:See more eco tours for groups in Te Anau on Tripadvisor
- These are the most romantic places for eco tours in Te Anau:See more romantic eco tours in Te Anau on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for adventurous eco tours in Te Anau:See more adventurous eco tours in Te Anau on Tripadvisor