- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
13 places sorted by traveller favourites
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- Green, gold and white. Make sure you hike to the summit to get even greater views! There is also a fairy forest along the way and make sure you look out for wild deer.Written 24 May 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Recommend talking time to go up the Ben Lomond Track. It was nice to be out and about in Pure nature. Didn't find the walk hard at all. The views are amazing and worth the hike. Suggest taking the gondola up to the luge and start from there to save the legs.Written 23 December 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Really fun trail. We walked up and then back down. The walk up is definitely hardest at the beginning, where you have to navigate around roots, rocks, etc. while going up a steep grade. Once you get past that --probably the first quarter of the trail , it is more of a normal trail, but still steep in most places. But really pretty. We got up in 50 minutes.
At the top, there are great views and a cafe, or just places to sit and chill which was nice.
On the way down, it had rained so was a tiny bit slippery, but otherwise it was fine. But it is a workout, as you have to navigate down those same roots and steps. Definitely a leg workout on the way down, especially in that final 25% of the trail.
Really fun though. However, if you're not used to hiking regularly I would plan to take your time and be sure to wear reasonable hiking shoes or sneakers.
We recently did the QT Hill Time Walk, which is another great short hike in town. That one IMO had much better views plus it was just a slog up the hill, without all the roots and rocks to work around. Both great options!Written 12 April 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Biked Arrowtown to ‘Bungy Bridge’ with 7 year old and stunning views, great track. Did it the old fashioned way with push bikes, not e-bike, and was easy with ups and downs.Written 20 January 2022
- We were driven through a steep windy road, around Lake Alta for beautiful scenery and blue green water, surrounded by mountains with great views.Written 3 February 2021
- loved this walk - we enjoyed the climb, the beautiful sound of the water falls and birds as we walked. we added on the extension to moke and dispute lakes. Definitely worth a visit.Written 16 August 2020
- Great walk just off the Glenorchy road, well worth a walk to the picnic spot at the top of a very steep hill. Not suitable for pushchairs or people with any walking problems due to the uneven ground getting to the top, but the view is amazing. Good amount of parking of the highway.Written 4 December 2020
- A fantastic family hike over two nights / three days. Used Easy Hike to relocate our car from The Divide to the Greenstone car park. Easy Hike provided excellent service and advice at a reasonable cost.Written 12 January 2022
- a lovely walk along the edge of Lake Wakatipu - although not to be attempted before sunrise as its pitch black! the waterfall is not much to write home about but the views across the lake are stunning. great place to watch the sunset.Written 23 May 2022
- We hiked the track from Arthurs Point to Lake Dispute about 36kms. You need to organise a pick up at Lake Dispute before you go though as we found out the hard way that there was no phone signal for about 3kms down the road towards Queenstown. The hike had amazing views and was our favourite hike we did in the area. If you are a bit nervous around Cows this track might not be for you.Written 11 March 2020
- We were driven in a huge group with AATKings around this lovely little Lake Dispute, surrounded by mountains in a valley at a distance.Written 3 February 2021
- The Mt Dewar hike starts at the same place as Atleys Track, a short drive from Queenstown towards Coronet Peak. From the Skippers Lookout it is a short walk of about 800 metres along Skippers Road to the start of Atleys Track. Rental cars aren't allowed past the Lookout.
Atleys Track is a much longer walk and the first part of that walk is to Mt Dewar. To walk to Mt Dewar peak takes about one hour each way. We were there in September 2019 and there was snow at the Peak. There are various aerial installations at the Peak which are excellent landmarks. Department of Conservation can provide more information about this walk.
There are spectacular views to Coronet Peak, the surrounding mountains, the valley and Queenstown. We highly recommend this hike. It was only from visiting DOC that we found out about this hike. Thank you DOC, Queenstown.Written 7 September 2019
- Cool new development that has a 25km trail network for walkers and cyclists. Beautiful, quiet place to admire The Remarkables and Lake Wakatipu.
We did the Jack’s Point Loop, which is described as a “hard” walk. There is a fair bit of uphill and some uneven sections of track but it’s generally well-graded. It took us 1.5 hours (it’s estimated to take 2.5 hours). The signage was not always clear and the description of the start point found on the website was a bit confusing - we almost started walking through the golf course! Don’t park by the Clubhouse - keep driving to the small carpark to reach the beginning of the track. Maybe once the development is finished the signage will be better.Written 12 August 2020
Frequently Asked Questions about Queenstown
- These experiences are best for hiking trails in Queenstown:
- New Zealand: See & Experience it ALL in 10 Days, 1st Class Traveling
- Queenstown Discovery
- Routeburn Track Day Hike from Queenstown (Privately Guided)
- Routeburn Track Guided Walk (Half-Day)
- Routeburn Track Guided Hike (Full Day)
- These are the best places for kid-friendly hiking trails in Queenstown:See more hiking trails for children in Queenstown on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for groups seeking hiking trails in Queenstown:See more hiking trails for groups in Queenstown on Tripadvisor