8 places sorted by traveller favourites
- Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
We perform checks on reviews.
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- Very interesting and well organised museum. We found it easy to follow the story of Dunedin as the rooms are chronological and nicely spaced.
It’s free to enter but definitely worth a donation.
A good attraction in its own right but perfect when it’s stormy and wet.Written 4 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Hey this is absolutely the coolest I've ever been in NZ. So many collections not only just bones also other amazing interesting stuff. Bruce was so nice and friendly Talk to us about the collection and how he hunt for bones even some haunted stories.
That was a lot of fun there I'll recommend all my friends there. Thank you Bruce!
Ming.Written 22 September 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- What an interesting and informative experience. My guide , Bill, took me around and explained not only how the Gasworks worked but the history of gas use in Dunedin.Written 13 August 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- If you are going to the station and the Sporting Hall Of Fame, this is upstairs opposite the museum. It is free entry and there are some surprisingly good pieces on display. It would be a mistake not to spend ten minutes or longer browsing the paintings and shop.Written 17 March 2020
- Fletcher House is a beautifully restored Edwardian ‘Treasure’. We thoroughly enjoyed our very informative visit, the guided tour gives a personal touch to the houses history, lives of James Fletcher and its various owners. Good to see history being preserved and shared. Elspeth was a super guide!Written 20 April 2019
- I was sceptical what this was going to be like, but went in to keep my husband company.
However, I found plenty to interest me, if not fascinate me. There were items donated by many famous sportsmen, Richard Hadlee for cricket, for example. There were Olympic uniforms, tennis, rowing, rugby and lots more memorabilia. I thoroughly enjoyed looking and learning about some of New Zealand’s sporting greats.Written 27 April 2020
- Me, my partner & my mum came here for an exciting educational look into astronomy. I love coming here I've been here a few time we actually tipped extra this time because we appreciate the science behind astronomy. One time I came here earlier in the year & we saw Jupiter moons in straight alignment. We saw the cluster of stars one was red one was blue one was white called the jewel box. Everyone that runs this is extremely knowledgeable. I even meet a physicist that visit & got to quiz him on all my questions about the cosmos, the universe & his theories about the big bang & how long he believes the universe began.
Love Bill Nye & Neil Degrass Tyson tehe 🤓😄
Definitely for the family. Make sure you wrap up warm it gets very cold at night. Also if there is two much cloud coverage might not be open so be cautious for this 😊😄Written 12 November 2018
- great stuff, friendly informative volunteers, and the forge was awesome, & if your a fan of steam engines this is the place to go. Highly recommend a visit and will defenitely go againWritten 8 May 2017
Frequently Asked Questions about Dunedin
- These are the best places for kid-friendly speciality museums in Dunedin:See more speciality museums for children in Dunedin on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for groups seeking speciality museums in Dunedin:See more speciality museums for groups in Dunedin on Tripadvisor