Popular things to do
Historic Sites • Castles
Admission tickets from $39
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- Very interesting and well organised museum. We found it easy to follow the story of Dunedin as the rooms are chronological and nicely spaced.
It’s free to enter but definitely worth a donation.
A good attraction in its own right but perfect when it’s stormy and wet.Written 4 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Beautiful, picturesque, stunning, spectacular, superb and even magnificent! A must visit if going to Dunedin region. I will return undoubtedly.Written 1 October 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We visited the castle for not only the tour but high tea.
The castle and Gardens were simply amazing. Such a beautiful place and well worth the visit.
On arrival to the tea rooms (for high tea) one of the staff brushed my wife off when we asked about our high tea then proceeded to help others. We felt a little unwelcome.
Eventially when served, the high tea was amazing and the rest of the staff were great.Written 25 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- It was Sunday in Dunedin and not much going on, so the brewery tour was a nice option. It was nice that the group was fairly small (about 16) and they managed it well. The young lady giving the tour was quite knowledgeable and interesting. We had plenty of time to sample the variety of beers. Nice way to spend a couple of hours.Written 25 November 2023
- Jan Davies and her fantastic team gave us all a wonderful dining experience as part of their contribution to the Ronald McDonald Supper Club appeal. The setting, meal (thanks Karl), and help from the staff were fabulous. I didn't realise the venue could be hired!Written 10 August 2023
- Glorious day, really lucky with albatross on nests and flying around. Gulls on the nest and many chicks. Excellent tour guide. Make sure you visit the disappearing gun.Written 18 November 2023
- We had not originally factored in the museum for our holiday with young kids as they usually get bored after 45 seconds but we were catching up with some local friends and they suggested this place.
Downstairs the cafe is very good some amazing looking cakes and slices reasonably priced, inside there is the normal proper museum stuff which I would have liked to have seen but as previously stated the kids have flea sized attention spans.
We instead went to the science centre which has heaps of interactive elements for kids and a slide of course, this flowed into a butterfly exhibit which is about 3 storeys high and very impressive, be warned it is very hot and humid in here and even as Queenslanders we found it warm so strip off this layers before entering.
We also booked a virtual reality experience, this could only be described as a bit of an acid trip and maybe some of the imagery not suitable for kids?
We also booked tickets to the planetarium which was a fun 45mins show that also included some science experiments.
We spent about 3hrs there and could have easily spent another 1-2hrs.
Well worth a look when in Dunedin.Written 3 October 2023
- We walked over from our hotel near the Octogon area of Dunedin. Started from Dundas Street which out us on a steep hill to,start, but worked out way around and down thru the rose gardens , etc. Just spectacular!Written 5 November 2023
- Brilliant day. Fabulous views and very lucky with the brilliant weather too. Got to see penguins and seals too. Our coach driver, Chow, was great with lots of knowledge to share with us. The crew on board were very friendly, helpful and informative. Thoroughly recommend this trip.Written 23 November 2023
- We were surprised at the steepness of the trail. It was about 1.5km down to the beach (and I mean down). We kept asking ourselves if we were prepared to hike back up. But, we made it down. The tunnel to the beach is cool. The beach itself is rocky and slippery. The views above the beach were spectacular and worth the trek back to the car.Written 19 November 2023
- As a nature photographer I wanted to spend an afternoon at Orokonui so I could connect with nature and photograph some of the birds there. I wasn't disappointed and was able to photograph a few species that I hadn't seen or photographed before.
Positioning myself near a bird feeder was a good idea and another nature photographer/colleague gave me some excellent tips on how best to capture the birds, before they jumped on the feeder.
As well as photographing the birds, there's plenty of flora and nature plants to photograph as well, and as you walk around the sanctuary, you're getting some good exercise too.
A fabulous place to visit either on your own, with friends, family and school groups enjoy it as well.Written 13 June 2023
- I've visited the Otago Peninsula numerous times over the past 30 years, and over that period I have been fortunate enough to have explored other wildlife establishments in the area.
However, without doubt, in visiting Natures Wonders - I absolutely saved the extreme best til last.
In fact, taking an American friend on a whistle stop tour of the South Island, my sole purpose of taking her to Dunedin was to finally visit this remarkable place myself.
I've travelled the World, and hand on my heart, our trip guided by the owner himself, Perry, drew so much emotion at not only the outstanding natural beauty - but the rawness of the amazing wildlife we encountered - I was reduced to tears!
From the innocence of the playful seal pups frolicking in a rock pool, to the up close views of nesting Blue Penguins - our experience at Natures Wonders was PURE. No banded, monitored, exploited animals here. Just wildlife enjoying one of the most stunning places on our Planet!
Our time with Perry riding in the Argo was lots of fun too. He shared his knowledge, passion and hopes for the future of this amazing family property and business.
Thanks to the efforts of the entire Reid family for their work in presenting and sharing such a magnificent experience. Indeed also a highlight of my friend Susy's visit to our wonderland - New Zealand!
Auckland, New ZealandWritten 28 November 2023
- Baldwin Street is definitely worth a visit if you’re in Dunedin. It doesn’t take long (and costs nothing) but it’s great for photo opportunities and, after all, it holds a Guinness World Record!Written 4 November 2023
- Hey this is absolutely the coolest I've ever been in NZ. So many collections not only just bones also other amazing interesting stuff. Bruce was so nice and friendly Talk to us about the collection and how he hunt for bones even some haunted stories.
That was a lot of fun there I'll recommend all my friends there. Thank you Bruce!
Ming.Written 22 September 2023
- Fabulous views across Dunedin and out to sea. It’s very peaceful up there and, if you’re lucky enough to have good weather like us, you can see for miles.
We saw a runner, walker and cyclists up there ( so it can be done) but glad we took the car, it’s a long, steep road to the top.Written 4 November 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about Dunedin
- The best day trips from Dunedin according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Dunedin City, Wildlife and Larnach Castle
- City Highlights, Larnach Castle & Peninsula Views
- Dunedin Shore Excursion - Sightseeing, Larnach Castle, Chinese Garden & Museum
- Dunedin City Highlights, Otago Peninsula Scenery & a Guided Penguin Reserve Tour
- Private Guided Tour of Dunedin City Heritage and Unique Wildlife and Scenery
Dunedin Attractions Information
|Thursday 9:01 pm|