Hiking Trails • Waterfalls
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- What an incredible location. Absolutely stunning. This is a must visit when you come to Taupo. The falls are simply beautiful and tracks great.Written 20 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Lovely little bush walk to see the locks open from further away or closer or right on top. It’s amazing the amount of water that comes down and fills up the river.Written 12 August 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Lake Taupō is said to be the largest, bluest, freshwater lake in New Zealand & the southern hemisphere. There are paths along the lake as well as a huge playground for the kids. You can find clean bathrooms at the park. There are plenty of shops and eating establishments. The McD was amazing as they used an old plane as their dining room. I didn't eat here but I thought the plane was pretty cool.Written 7 July 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Pretty good value for what you get to do and see. 10 dollars for entry is pretty good. Get a half decent walk.Written 23 November 2023
- We were driving from Hastings to Rotorua and saw the sign for the glass works and stopped to have a look.
There were some great works, but out of our price range 😆.
You could pay watch the glass works being blown for $12.50 per person and or walk through the sculpture garden for $12.50 per person or pay $20.00 per person to do both.
There is also a cafe you could get a coffee or bite to eat.
Worth a look.Written 10 November 2023
- This place is now a ‘must’ whenever we are in the area. The art is breathtakingly beautiful, the food is delicious. Hard to pick a favourite option but the scrambled eggs are textbook perfection, the French toast is divine.
You won’t mind taking a wee detour to get here, and if you’re headed south use it as an excuse to try the western road!Written 13 November 2023
- The warm water out of the rocks is nice but not as hot as last year but I have heard that it is because of the new geothermal powerstation taking away the heat. But it's still a lovely place to be there and relax.Written 5 March 2023
- If you are after a pleasant stroll through lovely gardens then this is the place. Walk around the ring road and top to admire the views of the lake and mountains.Written 5 February 2023
- We went with my mom and niece that visit us from overseas and all of us enjoyed the trip very much.
This is an easy short trip that you can do with family and friends on a good sunny day. The cruise at 1.30pm include a short demonstration of trout fishing. We didn’t catch any, but it was still a nice experience which ended with the crew handing out samples of smoke trout fish from their previous trip.
If I may comment, the commentary (which was very interesting) was too loud inside the boat. Other than that, it’s highly recommended.Written 18 March 2023
- This is a small museum, really well set out with a mix of interesting items. Great information on the fishing history of this area along with some great pieces & photos. Well worth the visit!Written 16 October 2023
- Always visit when we head down to Taupo. New owners are improving it constantly - lots of friendly animals (including very cute lambs), lots of space and a trampoline in the picnic area and coffee available. Well worth a visit for families.Written 3 October 2023
- Ordered deep fried calamari and half kilo of prawns in garlic butter, and they were huge! The aioli dip for calamari is great, but the dip for the prawn needs a little tweak, so i decided to mix it together and it tasted better.
The service was fast even with many tables were occupied during lunch. The host (Rachael) was very accommodating and
Recommended to go for outside tables as you will have a view of the water from Huka falls as well the Huka jet.Written 24 March 2023
- Took a older school group through, something for everyone. favourite was the Discovery room and Maze.Written 5 December 2022
- It a nice climb of about 500m and takes us about 2 hr return but any time is s good time. There are some interesting bits of trench work and an ability to swing from your arms can come in handy. The top has just amazing views and there are some variant routes just on the top ridge. There is no toilet or facilities on the route or road end. The whole track is over private land, so thank you to the Tauhara Middle 15 Trust for making such a wonderful place open to all.Written 22 July 2023
- Kinloch is a very quiet town. Beach is nice to take photos. It gets very cold here. Lovely views in the evenings.Written 11 May 2022
Frequently Asked Questions about Taupo
- The best outdoor activities in Taupo according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Lake Taupo
- Huka Falls tracks
- Spa Thermal Park and Riverbank Recreational and Scenic Reserve
- Lava Glass
- Waipahihi Botanical Gardens
- The best day trips from Taupo according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- Redwood Forest , Blue Springs & Huka Falls Day Tour from Auckland
- Taupo Day Trip with Orakei Korako from Rotorua
- Lake Taupō Private Day Tour from Auckland to Māori Rock Carvings
- Devil's Bath Experience - Private Tour to Wai-O-Tapu & Lake Taupo
- Stand Up Paddle Board Hire - Lake Taupo
Taupo Attractions Information
|Thursday 9:39 pm|