- Traveller favouritesThings to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
- Traveller rankingHighest rated attractions on Tripadvisor, based on traveller reviews.
9 places sorted by traveller favourites
Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- We visited 3D Trick Art Gallery while staying in Rotorua and enjoyed all the fun 3D pictures where you can become part of the picture. The only thing we didn't like was there were a lot of people and pushing in front so we missed a few photo spots. Need to send people through at 10 minute intervals and tell them that they only have a 10 minute start on the next. Otherwise, it was fun and we got some really cool photosWritten 5 February 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Interesting Maori art and making of it in depth. Experience the Maori arts and crafts which is surrounded by beautiful traditional sculptures and crafted wooden buildings.Written 29 November 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- A beautifully layout display, packed with interesting facts and knowledge bringing the Bible in relation to the world time table. Sarah the host was very lovely. Would visit and bring more people here again.Written 5 February 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Absolutely LOVE this place! I could have stayed for hours more. Imagine youve gone back 100 years and youre exploring through the town, all inside the homes, businesses and factories, thats this place! Completely run and maintained by volunteers and everyone looks so happy to be there. Beautiful customer service. I highly recommend people come here, look through history and support the volunteers that do an awesome job here.Written 21 July 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- My wife is not one for confrontation but i certainly am not shy of it.
I practice Ngai Tahu virtues everyday with work.
Over 2 months ago at a very small price of $20 we asked for a whale tooth to be re-tied . We picked it up on the 8th of May only to find that it wasn't re-tied The ropes were as we handed it in and there is a chip in the piece as well.
The chip is where my frustration lies with no explanation or acknowledgement that something happened to it. We thought it was in capable hands and yet we left with a little heart break for our piece we love and respect so much.
We were promised and said it can be done. But we came with nothing more or really what we asked for .
I am on a rant and a expression of heartbreak. I dont expect anything else in return but this also means i would prefer to go to Mountain Jade out of pure fact that we havent been givens months of explanations and no changes in good faith that we politely asked for and a damaged piece in hand too.Written 8 May 2019This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- Husband and I each wanted a peace of pounamu to remember our trip to Rotorua for wedding anniversary. Great service here - we’re talked through origins of pounamu, different types and treatments, meaning of carvings. Very happy with our purchases; can recommend this place. ThanksWritten 6 September 2020This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- I recently took up the opertunity to participate in a carve your own pounamu activity.
This was an staining, fun and satisfying thing to do. At $190 for the day, lunch included I designed my piece was given a stone to put it on then guided through the process of ponamu carving from cutting and shaping right through to carving and polishing my piece. I did 2 days of carving with Charlie Marsh, he is an excellent carver and teacher. The whole team there were amaizing, and friendly, they all treat you like part of the team. At the end of the day I left with my own carving to wear or gift to someone that would easily cost 2 to 3 times the cost of the days activity. When ever I return to the shop it's like being part of their family and they are all happy to pass on knowledge. Each time I return they pass on more knowledge.
I'd recommend this as a solo or small 2 to 3 person group activity.Written 24 May 2021This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
- A great spot to shop if you`re after an arty momento from your trip or an original piece of NZ art. Beautifully presented gallery with a lovely friendly owner who has an eye for quality art and giftware.Written 1 March 2017This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Frequently Asked Questions about Rotorua
- These are the best places for groups seeking museums in Rotorua:See more museums for groups in Rotorua on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for budget-friendly museums in Rotorua:See more budget-friendly museums in Rotorua on Tripadvisor