Bike Tours • Sightseeing Tours
17 places sorted by traveller favourites
- Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
We perform checks on reviews.
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- Great trip out on the bikes, would recommend. Jeff was informative and a great host! We did the waipoa bridge track, nice and easy trip.Written 25 October 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Great day spent with my daughter learning to catch waves!!! You ladies were amazing!!!
Thanks HollyWritten 18 December 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- As a Gisborne local, this has been on my to-do list for the longest time and I finally went with a friend on steam train WA165. We spent the whole ride to and back in the outside areas of the compartments. The views were stunning throughout. The stop at Muriwai allowed plenty of opportunities to take photos on the railway track and with the steam train. The train’s interior differs depending on the compartment, we were seated in a compartment that was fitted with old commercial airliner seats which we found very fun. The volunteers were very kind and let us enter the “staff only” carriage during the return leg so we could have an even better view of the locomotive in action. The summer months are a bit busier with RnV in Gisborne, we saw a few aircraft that had just landed/preparing to take off as we crossed the runway. We got our tickets from Gisborne iSite. Occasionally they use the diesel train.Written 22 August 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A must do when in Gisborne! We did the beach loop half day tour on an ebike, 32kms of railbike adventure. Jeff our guide was ultra safety conscience, he ensured the group stayed together and that everyone enjoyed the day. Pack a drink bottle, snack, sunscreen, hat and a spray jacket as the weather can change in an instant. The country side was amazing, the tunnels were eerie and the view the top was... well you will have to see it for yourself!Written 21 January 2023
- We went for a surf lesson with Heloise from Wow yesterday and while the weather wasn't the finest, we still had a great wee lesson on some mostly broken waves which actually suited my talents, or lack of, very well. Heloise gave great advice, was really positive and enthusiastic and just the perfect personality for a surf teacher. Safety was given top billing and fun a close second. Would definitely do this again.. but perhaps on a sunnier sort of day!Written 14 April 2019
- We rented bikes from Cycle Gisbourne as a family with an 11 and 13 year-old. Katrina was super-responsive and extremely helpful. The bikes were well-maintained Treks and there was good choice of sizes. Katrina gave excellent route advice and we had a brilliant time. Hugely recommend.Written 30 July 2023
- This is a fantastic wine tour as it is run by a real winemaker. Geoff runs Wrights wines so you get a knowledgeable and really interesting insight into the wines of the Gisborne area. Geoff took us to two of his neighbours vineyards where we were warmly received. We ended up at Geoff’s own vineyard for a superb tasting and a lovely choose your own picnic. It is a very personalised tour as Geoff will customise the day for you and go at your own pace. Geoff was a very friendly and interesting guide Overall it is excellent value for money. We had a brilliant time, thank you Geoff.Written 8 February 2023
- Sarah, from surfing with Sarah is such an awesome surf instructor. I recently did a private lesson with Sarah in Gizzy and it was one of the best sessions I’ve ever had with an instructor. She has a great and fun personality, is super enthusiastic, motivating and positive while being knowledgeable and willing to share all that knowledge and heaps of surfing tips. I have never progressed so much in a single session and all thanks to Sarah.Written 29 November 2020
- Fantastic tour ! Kelly is an absolute legend ! Really wish I'd hopped off a Gisborne it is a stunning place and the accommodation along the way was breathtaking . Absolutely loved it and will definitely be returning , not only to see more of Gisborne but to see the guides and hosts again. Can't recommend it enough. Actual .Written 17 January 2016
- Did this on a bit of a whim but we're so glad we did John has an outstanding knowledge which he shares with ease and the telescopes were outstanding giving great views of planets stars and the moon,we could even see 4 of Jupiter's moon's at once The tour includes some time in a classroom type setting where John explains what you may see or to go into more depth about what you have actually seen. Overall really worth doing we loved it.Written 5 November 2023
- I did the shark cage with Surfit back in 2008. It was an incredible experience and Boyd was great! It was definitley the highlight of my trip to New Zealand. The ocean was too rough for several of the days of our trip but we got to go on one of the last days of our stay. Other than the seasickness, it was a great experience that I would highly recommend- just remember to take your Gravol before you take off if it's a bit of a rough day! We saw two individual Mako sharks, and a group of five Blues to end off the day.Written 27 March 2013
- Gisborne has some good beaches to learn surfing. We did it with Simon's company. I emailed and texted him the day before we wanted to take the lessons. To be honest I did not get a reaction straight away. It wasn't until the morning of the actual lessons that he contacted me. After that things went fast. He contacted us at 8 AM. At 10 AM we had our wetsuit on and were standing on the beach. Nikki gave a very enthusiastic lesson. Because of the rough weather and waves the lesson ended after an hour. Nikki said it wouldn't get nicer, especially for us as beginners. She suggested to have the second hour later on in the afternoon. We agreed, which meant that we had two hours of private lessons spreaded over the day. In the end we were able to stand on the surf board for 3 seconds. That doesn't seem much, but it feels like a victory if you succeed in doing that! We had a great time! And the fact that the lessons were spreaded was actually perfect.Written 17 January 2016
Frequently Asked Questions about Gisborne
- These are the best places for couples seeking tours in Gisborne:See more tours for couples in Gisborne on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for groups seeking tours in Gisborne:See more tours for groups in Gisborne on Tripadvisor
- These are the best places for adventurous tours in Gisborne:See more adventurous tours in Gisborne on Tripadvisor