Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- A great experience at this site. The cave was easy to negotiate having wooden walkways. We had opportunity to see glow-worms close up as well as seeing them glowing in the dark. We saw the resident large eel in the water on the cave floor. We were given permission to climb the steps through the rocky woodland to where the old cave entrance had once been, and saw good rock formations.Our guide was friendly, interest and witty.
No photos are allowed to be taken in the caves, but our guide offered to take a photo of us at the entranceWritten 4 December 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- This site has been reimagined and now gives a far more detailed view of the landscape and a more detailed explanation of what occurred here. The looped walk from the carpark to the British position and onto the Pa site is about 1.8km long, undulating but not challenging. The Pa sites trenches and tunnels are still clearly visible some 180 years on. The road from the highway has also been upgraded, as has the carpark which now includes toilets. If you visited here years ago as we did it’s certainly worth another look now.Written 29 December 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- A very different toilet block - a sample of the type of work Hundertwasser brought to fruition at WhangareiWritten 30 September 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I only had a quick look with a limited time. Oh my, what amazing artwork from the areas artists. Don't walk past this place it's a real treat for the senses.Written 29 September 2019
- Te Honoga is new with creative stylish architecture, colourful and a lot for Kawakawa to be proud of. The building and surrounds will need ongoing careful maintenance. Gallery for Hundertwasser work and life, library meeting rom new spacious toilets. Don't miss thisWritten 13 May 2021
- Nice view and with some imagination can see where the new visitor centre will someday welcome visitors. The model for the new building can be seen in the museum across the street (see my review for a photo of the model).Written 30 December 2016
- Pre-booked a coach tour for 34 people of varying ages and interests. Darryl Meehan was our driver and he was fantastic, 10/10, would definitely recommend asking for him if you can. The price was amazing, worked out at just over NZ$30 per person. I liased with the company to arrange which sites to see and we ended up visiting: Kawiti glow worm caves, kawakawa, kerikeri, chocolate store/factory/cafe, honey store/farm, cheese factory/store, stone store, hemp house, rainbow waterfall, waitangi lookout. Darryl met us at the tender pier with his bus and dropped us back with plenty of time to spare. Definitely would recommend! We had the best day.Written 12 January 2017
- The train ticket says 'All Day - Same Day Ticket', so you can really get your monies worth. Interestingly there is a wooden viaduct over the river, one of the oldest of its kind, which is linked into a circular cycle route.
For a voluntary contribution bikes can be picked up and ferried over the bridge, if you make use of this service give generously, as the charity runs on your donations.Written 1 May 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about Kawakawa
- The best day trips from Kawakawa according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- *Popular Cruise Ship Tour* Bay of Islands and Glow Worm Caves Shore Excursion
- Private Shore Excursion - The Giant Kauris and Glowworms' Cave
- Bay of Islands Heritage Experience from Auckland incl. Waitangi & Russell
- The most popular things to do in Kawakawa with children according to Tripadvisor travellers are:See all kid friendly things to do in Kawakawa on Tripadvisor
Kawakawa Attractions Information
|Friday 7:39 pm|