Top Attractions in Vestmannaeyjar
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
*Likely to sell out: Based on Viator’s booking data and information from the provider from the past 30 days, it seems likely this experience will sell out through Viator, a Tripadvisor company.
What travellers are saying
- I can highly reccommend this museum. You really get the feeling how it was, and the stories behind it, the people that left and those who stayed. Do not miss out on the documentary video they have. They give you a headset and dictaphone, so when you move around, the storyteller tells you about each section of the museum.Written 7 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Nice aquarium! Very good stop for a rainy day in the Westman Islands. Seeing the Belugas and puffins was cool. There is a nice children’s book about the puffin rescue program that is written and illustrated by the guys who work there.Written 1 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Great beer! I tried a flight that included an IPA, sour, red ale, and a stout. The cherry sour was by far my favorite! The atmosphere is great as well!Written 9 August 2022This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- In some ways the views from the ferry while sailing up and down the narrow channel to and from the Westman Islands were the best of the whole Westman experience.
We spent a fair bit to time trying to book the ferry to the Westman Islands for a trip in June. Tickets were scarce due to the football tournament which takes place on the island in June. Eventually, though, we were able to book, and in retrospect I am not sure that it was worth it. We parked our car at the ferry port on the mainland and went across as passengers. I am not sure that a car would have been all that useful. It was windy and showery on the trip over, but it cleared as we neared the Westmann Islands. There was plenty of deck space for viewing. The last 15 minutes of the crossing were stunning as we sailed very close to the sheer, towering cliffs teeming with seabirds nesting. The port itself was a bit industrial with a big container boat unloading when we arrived. The best bit was the entertainment laid on for us. The ramp at the harbour which cars drove off the ferry on had collapsed on one side. There was much scratching of heads and different cranes were brought out to deal with the situation. It took them an hour to fix, and we all enjoyed the action. We thought that this may have delayed the ferry back, but it left on time.Written 16 August 2021
- When we arrived on Vestmannaeyjar we drove directly to the south of the island to try to view the puffins for which this area is renowned. We made for the cape called Storhofdi. We parked at the upper car park where there was a turning circle. We followed a foot path which we thought would take us to the bird hide, following markers with yellow tops. Unfortunately, this took us all the way round the cape. Although this was an attractive hike, it wasn’t what we intended to do. We consulted Google maps which helpfully showed us the route to the hide. We found another path leading down hill which eventually brought us to the bird hide. We sat outside the hide on tussocks, watching the comings and goings of the puffins. It was very rewarding to finally capture some images of the birds. We discovered that there was a car park situated much closer to the hide. This car park is on a left hand corner and can accommodate about 10 cars. There is a gate and the hide is maybe 100 metres on just over the brow of the hill.Written 14 June 2022
- The trailhead for the hike is located on the other side of the marina from where the ferry arrives (1-2km walk). The hiking trail is very clearly marked, but not for anyone with a fear of heights. We did this hike on a very clear day in August, but as many of the other reviews recommended I would not do this hike if it is raining or wet. We were able to see many puffins while hiking. The view from the top is spectacular! you can see great views of Westman as well as Iceland. I would definitely recommend to anyone that enjoys hiking and amazing views.Written 3 September 2019
- Great museum that goes through the whole history of this island, including the events, people and nature. The museum was closed, but the staff was so nice to open the museum so that I could go in and look around at all of the terrific exhibits. No one else was in the museum, so I had lots of time to look around and see and study every single exhibit. It was amazingly well done and well maintained. The museum goes through the entire history of the island - volcanos, attacks from foreign lands, rebuilding, fishing, tourism, and a whole lot more! Photos and artifacts provide details and recount all of the history. Some of the audio interviews are amazing from survivors of the volcano. Don't miss the exhibits on the athletes with their medals and the national costumes of Iceland to wrap up the tour. The museum is easy to miss, as it is located on the second floor of the library. So if you think you are lost, you might just be in the right place after all!Written 24 November 2021
- Great organization , lots of good info and you get to see Puffins and the Belugas. I'd recommend this if you visit VestmannaeyjarWritten 7 July 2022
- A delightful tour with fun information about the island and its past and present. And of course- plenty of puffin viewing!Written 10 August 2022
- This was one of the highlights of my trip! Stunning views and a fun ride. The guide was very knowladgeable and the sailor was impressively skilled. I never once felt scared or in danger while there. We were on the one hour trip and plan on going to one of the longer trips when we come to Westman islands again 😀 soo much fun! Truly recommend if you have spare time, want to take pictures, or are an adreniline junkie or simply looking for something to do!Written 1 August 2022
- Great views. Excellent equipment. Most interesting experience. Highly recommend it.
Redingote on lava very thrilling.Written 5 July 2022
- Really a interesting, exiting and funny tour for me and my son. Adrenaline kick over the waves. Excellent!Written 28 July 2021
- This was a FABULOUS experience. Our guide really knows the island, having been born and raised there, and clearly loves where she lives. She was funny, insightful, and delightful company. We can’t recommend this experience enough to anyone visiting the island. It is the very best way to get a sense of place and it’s people. :)Written 29 July 2022
- We had a fantastic ride with the Lyngfell owners today! The horses were fantastic and we found a good fit for each one of us (Mom and 4 teenage girls). The surroundings and the landscape was absolutely breathtaking with the highlight being on the beach and riding into the water!
A fantastic experience which we enjoyed every second of! We will be back 🥰Written 1 July 2022
- Just returned from lovely tour with “B” and fabulous captain. Our guide was delightful and a great story-teller. Highly recommend - the perfect weather may helped (and spotted minke whale, seal… but no puffins)Written 9 September 2021
Frequently Asked Questions about Vestmannaeyjar
- The best day trips from Vestmannaeyjar according to Tripadvisor travellers are:
- The Westman Islands Private Tour from Reykjavik
- Private Westman islands day tour
- Full-Day Private Tour in Westman Island with Pick Up
- Vestmannaeyjar private day tour
- Elephant Rock