7 places sorted by traveller favourites
- Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
We perform checks on reviews.
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
What travellers are saying
- They not long ago added additions to the museum and boy, was that worth it. It is a museum that grabs my interest and keeps hold of it until I leave.Written 23 September 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- The gallery held an interesting collection of pieces, including a pottery exhibition at the time we visited. The gift shop was great!Written 17 April 2016This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- We love the Oxford Market open all year but can get fairly sparce in the winter. There's a good selection of shops and eateries although at one rustic coffee shop they tried to charge us extra for chocolate in a mocca. Beware of that scam. there is another along he coast north of Kaikoura who tried that; otherwise, it's well worth a visit.Written 22 September 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- I booked Kowhai from my base in Asia, based on the reviews and the positive responses of the owner, Chris. All communications were prompt and clear and Chris arrived in Christchurch at the motel spot on time. We had a pleasant chat in the car on the way to Kowhai and marveled at the scenery -it really is a in a stunning location.
After arrival, we were shown our rooms. It was, as had been explained, basic accommodation. And it is basic so if you want luxury then I suggest you stay off site. We had no qualms with that, although I suspect others may object to the bathroom being a a walk away, especially on cold nights. Anyway, we dumped our luggage and had a cup of tea before heading off to lasso our horses.
The next few days were simply marvelous for beginner riders like us. On the first and third days, Chris's wife, Becci was our coach and she was very patient and calm which was great. The second day we had an equally lovely coach. On each occasion, we had a lesson in the arena followed by a beautiful outride. As beginners maybe it is easier to be happy with what we get but I would certainly recommend Kowhai. At lunch and dinner we ate with the family and they were always gracious and accommodating. Food was simple home cooked fare which went down a treat and very welcome after a day's riding.
Is this a super slick, luxury operation - no. They don't pretend to be, so if you want to be pampered and waited on, then this is not for you. If you love horses, are happy to muck in and help out, enjoy caring for your own horse and are prepared to roll with the occasional laissez faire approach, then I am sure you will have a great time. I would be very happy to go back. Thanks again Chris and Becci!Written 3 December 2019
- There is nothing quite like the smell of horses...one that I have always loved but don't encounter often enough. Being able to reconnect with the joy of riding, among such dreamy scenery was, all at once, soothing and energizing. Tori, our guide, is knowledgeable and just lovely to be around. The horses are beautiful and friendly, and there is a horse for all types of riders. A wonderful experience!!Written 30 January 2015
- Visited while travelling through Oxford. It is an awesome shop with many items made by local people. Also food items like honey and peanut butter.
The kids loved browsing and bought some clothes for their dolls.
Highly recommended.Written 21 December 2020
Oxford Attractions Information
|Sunday 4:06 am|