216 places sorted by traveller favourites
- Things to do ranked using Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, and popularity.
We perform checks on reviews.
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Learn more about this content
Tours, activities and experiences bookable on Tripadvisor, ranked using exclusive Tripadvisor data including reviews, ratings, photos, popularity, user preferences, price, and bookings made through Tripadvisor.
Showing results 1-30 of 216
What travellers are saying
- Great view from this place enjoyed the calmness of this place they have some boating option availableWritten 3 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Really great walk enjoyed the beauty and calmness of this place one of the recommend place if you are visiting in New Plymouth.Written 9 May 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- Our group of 45 loved every minute of this experience. The staff were right though, you need at least a whole day to really get the best value. The boat-ride is phenomenal, and the dioramas fascinating. Something for everyone and most importantly - excellent coffee in the cafe.Written 15 November 2023This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews.
- What a fantastic space. Really interesting and enjoyable. Great for all and kids will enjoy it too. And free to boot! It really is an asset to the local community.Written 24 August 2023
- A wonderfully beautiful peaceful spot to visit. Great for those with lowered mobility, you can avoid stairs with ramps and level paths. Plus it's free!Written 2 November 2023
- A great spot to drive to with amazing views. We were fortunate enough to be there after a snowfall on a clear day. It’s very popular and as conditions can change quickly, be prepared. We just had a normal car & had no issues driving up or parking in the snow. It’s a well maintained road. The cafe is a great spot to stop to enjoy lunch or a hot chocolate & toilets are located here.Written 26 May 2023
- A great little zoo. It's free! Has a great playground for kids. Animals were out and about. Got to see all of them. The Otters were especially playful.Written 2 November 2023
- Epic road trip with some truly gorgeous contryside. Varies between farmland and forest alond the the length of the highway. Very pretty and with lots of viewpoints and places to stop along the way. The unsealed part of the road is resonably short and not in bad shape. Hardly any other traffic as well. And no phone reception if that is important to you.Written 24 August 2023
- Beautiful garden and very well maintained. We went with our toddler son and he had so much fun exploring all the plant species, playing on the swing, etc.
If you cannot handle slopes, then this might be tricky for you. Otherwise, highly recommended!Written 21 July 2023
- Nice spot to take a walk and maybe a chat with the locals. A great example of a black sand beach. Plenty of parking and very close to downtown New Plymouth.Written 24 August 2023
- Fairly easy mount to climb bit beware of loose rocks etc.. great view from the top.
Took about 15 mins to the top and 20 mins down.Written 13 February 2023
- Go for two things: the excellent and thorough Len Lye exhibit and experiencing the building itself. Unlike a lot of regional museums in NZ, there's a charge of $15 for adult entry. The Len Lye areas are unique, lively, detailed, and brightly coloured. They are wrapped in the exquisite and fascinating building, which I enjoyed. The one other exhibit had a lot of intricate background information, provided as a brochure. We would have appreciated more wall signage to share with everyone why it was special. As it was, the presentation was mysterious. I was told before visiting to expect the museum to take 45 minutes to an hour for interested adults. That's about right unless you're there for a film. The place is definitely what Len Lye would have wanted.Written 5 January 2022
- Stunning wildlife reserve with fabulous lake views. We'll worth the trip out of town. Unfortunately a cloudy day so we didn't see the mountain but still worth it.Written 10 November 2023
- It might seem a bit odd to recommend visiting a bridge but this one is stunning, with its size and design evocative of the raw elements around you.
The good news is that it's fully reopened after a repaint (no more scaffolding!) and is looking as good as new - definitely a stop-off point for a great holiday pic. The bridge crosses the Waiwhakaiho River so that you can continue along the Coastal Walkway - north to Bell Block or south to New Plymouth central.
If you're driving, get there via Clemow Road. At Lake Rotomanu, drive past the first (small) car parking area on your right, go around the lake and you'll come to a larger car park (also on your right). Park here, then walk 30s to the bridge.Written 30 October 2023
- Who would have thought going to a cemetery would be such an amazing experience. It is truely beautiful and the residents are truly at rest. All denominations represented. It is set in a tranquil, peaceful environment. You can easily spend a couple of hours there reading the names on the headstones reflecting on people’s losses and memories. it is a history lesson well worth visiting. It is close to town off Lemon street and has good parking. Nice views of the city and beyond, out to sea.Written 29 November 2023
Frequently Asked Questions about Taranaki Region
Taranaki Region Attractions Information
|Sunday 6:15 pm|