Akaroa is the jewel in Canterbury's crown, a gorgeous little French inspired sea-side village. Experience unique views of Canterbury from above, the landscape before you an extinct volcano making up Banks Peninsula. Lush forests and grassland run down the hillsides to the azure water of the endless bays. The spectacular rugged coastline of the Pacific Ocean flows inland to Akaroa harbour. This is the home of Akaroa Craft Distillery, prepare for a journey to taste Akaroa on your Akaroa Craft Distillery HeliGin tour
Lowest price guaranteeReserve now & pay laterFree cancellation
Ages 0-99, max of 6 per group
Start time: Check availability
- Live tour commentary provided in English
- Tale of the Akaroa Harbour told in Gin, every sampled is a taste of Akaroa and it surrounds from locally grown and foraged ingredients.
- Your tasting experience is followed by a food platter between two people whilst enjoying a G&T each.
- Entry/Admission - Akaroa Lighthouse
- Entry/Admission - Akaroa Craft Distillery Tasting House
- Entry/Admission - Christchurch
- Departure details
- 73 Grays Road, Yaldhurst, Christchurch 8042, New Zealand
- Returns to original departure point
If you have questions about accessibility, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 6036P10
- Infants must sit on laps
- Not wheelchair accessible
- Confirmation will be received at time of booking
- Minimum age to consume or buy alcohol is 18 years - ID must be carried
- Dress code is smart casual
- Bring Camera
- Most travellers can participate
- ID must be carried
- Bring your credit card for additional purchases of Gin
- share you images on our social pages #heligin #gchaviation
- Dietary requirements
- This experience requires good weather. If it’s cancelled due to poor weather, you’ll be offered a different date or a full refund
- This experience requires a minimum number of travellers. If it’s cancelled because the minimum isn’t met, you’ll be offered a different date/experience or a full refund
- This tour/activity will have a maximum of 6 travellers
- For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience.
- Which attractions will I visit with Akaroa Craft Distillery HeliGin Experience?
- During this experience, places you will visit include:Discover and book Akaroa Craft Distillery HeliGin Experience on Tripadvisor
- How much is Akaroa Craft Distillery HeliGin Experience?
- Akaroa Craft Distillery HeliGin Experience price starts from $930.27. Discover and book Akaroa Craft Distillery HeliGin Experience on Tripadvisor
- What is the Akaroa Craft Distillery HeliGin Experience cancellation policy?
- Akaroa Craft Distillery HeliGin Experience cancellation policy: For a full refund, cancel at least 24 hours in advance of the start date of the experience. Discover and book Akaroa Craft Distillery HeliGin Experience on Tripadvisor
- Which company provides Akaroa Craft Distillery HeliGin Experience?
- Akaroa Craft Distillery HeliGin Experience is hosted by Garden City Helicopters. Read reviews, discover additonal experiences or contact Garden City Helicopters on Tripadvisor. Discover and book Akaroa Craft Distillery HeliGin Experience on Tripadvisor
- If you have questions about this tour or need help making your booking, we’d be happy to help. Just call the number below and reference the product code: 6036P10
Reserve your spot
- You'll start at73 Grays Road73 Grays Road, Yaldhurst, Christchurch 8042, New ZealandSee address & details
- 1Garden City HelicoptersStop: 15 minutesSee details
- 2Akaroa LighthouseStop: 30 minutes - Admission includedSee details
- 3Akaroa Craft Distillery Tasting HouseStop: 90 minutes - Admission includedSee details
- 4GCH AviationStop: 45 minutes - Admission includedSee details
- You'll return to the starting point
About the operator
Garden City Helicopters
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined in February 2013
#24 of 149 Tours & Activities in Christchurch
- John F00A potential bucket list item blown away by the windWe were frustrated by the weather. Due to cloud and high winds the helicopter lesson did not take place. The guys at Garden City Helicopters did everything they could to fit me in on the 28th, 29th and the 30th but the weather was against us. However full marks for the efforts they made
- Brownkiwi9900AwesomeOn business we were reviewing a property at flockhill, so a helicopter flight was needed to save time. A few flights across the country on this trip but this was the best. New airbus ec130, great seating, good views from all seats, comms worked easier than others and Dan our pilot experienced relaxed fun and super helpful. Amazing trip and much recommended
- melbU2208TT00Do it, you won't regret it!This was a special birthday gift. The trip had to be altered as the jet boat company had no drivers at the shallows area. This gave us a longer helicopter flight to a different location a lot higher up the Waimakariri river (which we had done about 2 months before). The scenery from the helicopter was stunning and the extended flight time gave us a better view of this beautiful country. The jet boat trip, though we'd done it previously, was again awesome. The river had changed so much in just 2 months. The raw natural beauty of the river and surrounding rock formations is a must see.
- Anne-Marie C00Fantastic views and commentary.Fantastic. Loved this. Mother in law first time in a helicopter, and she loved it. Great views and very scenic. Heaps of knowledge about the area and made our tour very pleasant. Thank you again. Highly recommended.
- kevinsM2460XC00Great ExperienceThe first time trying to fly yourself and how it feels. I recommend giving it a try to anyone. I would definitely do it again.
- loumac6900An amazing experienceWhat a day! 5 fabulous wineries over 6 hours. Really well organised, we were met by someone at each winery, table and tastings at the ready, and at 2 of the wineries we had tasing plates/cheese platter provided. About 55 minutes at each winery which was just the right amount of time to enjoy the wines and the atmosphere. Our pilot Juliette was fantastic, as a nervous flyer she put me at ease with her skills and commentary along the way. Would definitely do this again and highly recommend it...great fun and even learnt a bit about wine along the way!
- sti767900Exceptional ServiceWe booked a trial flight for 26 Aug 2022 morning. Unfortunately on that day, the weather was not good (cloudy with rain) so we had to reschedule to 5 Sep afternoon. On 5 Sep afternoon, after our briefing, the weather suddenly turned bad and once again, we had to push back the flight, this time to 7 Sep morning. On 7 Sep morning, we were finally able to fly and the experience is phenomenal. Immediately after that, we quickly made our way to the airport to catch our flight back home. We are greatly appreciative of Juliet, our pilot, who went out of her way to accommodate our schedule, even having to reschedule her own commitments in the process. She also gave us a brief tour of the place and we got to know many of the friendly staff there. Looking at the immaculate state of the helicopters, we know staff takes pride in their work. We like to thank the other pilot, Jon, as well, for his humour and for making the flight interesting. We also like to thank Geoff, who was really helpful in liaising with us and had given us great tips on travelling in the South Island. Friendly, professional and dependable staff. Ken and Irene Singapore
- harmonym53900The Best birthday everThe guys in the reception are super nice and very welcoming, Although my partner is scared of heights, he picked up his big boy pants and went for it. He had the best time of his life. Honestly he couldn't stop talking about how he flew a helicopter best fun he's ever had. Thank you GCH yous definitely know how to leave smiles on your customers faces. 👍
- Jazzaman6600DisappointedPretty disappointed really. Got canceled because of minimum travers is two. Where i had me and my 3 year old son (who was really looking foward to it) which they considered not two people. Then tried conning me into purchasing a ticket for him even though it says on there site 3 year olds dont need a ticket. Come on guys dont be so money hungry. You ruined my sons day. Also maybe ring people a bit earlier than the day before its meant to happen they can reorganize another flight with a company that doesnt just do it for money.
- mariomW3894JZ00Outstanding Service and TourAn excellent experience from the booking process onwards. Geoff was very professional in his approach and execution of all communication. Our pilot Matt was an excellent pilot and guide - very informative and eased my wife's concerns about flying. The tour itself was well thought out and we enjoyed a variety of wineries and wines! Overall, an excellent day out and highly recommended.
- 822JeanetteG00A unique day outSuch a fabulous experience. Saw the city and surrounds like never before with easy fun commentary. A relaxed but exciting day and worth every $. Would throughly recommend
- Lorraine S00Garden city helicopters are the best!Amazing experience Simply the best! Garden City Helicopters flight and vineyard lunch. Our pilot Matt was helpful, fun, kind and knowledgeable. The reception staff were amazing. The food and wine match at Terrace Edge was delicious and so was their olive oil. Lunch at Black Estate was yummy and their staff welcoming and friendly. I would recommend you allow the day and really relax and enjoy it. It’s too good to rush it. Wonderful for a special occasion or just treat yourself you will not regret it.
- cpmacs001st lessonHave had this on my bucket list and it was even more than I could possibly imagine! The experience was something else and highly recommend it to anyone thinking of doing this. Thanks to Jonno, awesome instructor, look forward to do this again.
- raywellfarm00christchurch complimentary flyover, from Asure Qualitymost enjoyable, starting from the briefing to take off and the flight, the highlight was the tour of the facilities and the understanding of the training, the interaction with other services, and to witness preparation and the organization of emergency services. our family left with a greater understanding, of the organization that our farm business supports, by annual subscription. Thank you and, Regards Peter Withell,on behalf of Raywell Farm Ltd.
- kural201800Between the Vines Winery TourHad an absolutely fabulous day on the Between the Wines tour with friends. The helicopter ride there and back is a bonus as you take in the beautiful landscape of Canterbury and also Christchurch city. Our awesome pilot Jono was very knowledgeable in pointing out sites and points of interest and with a sense of humour to boot. The 5 wineries each had something different to offer and not to mention the delicious wines. Of course you feel quite special arriving at each winery by helicopter. Cant recommend this tour highly enough. Gather together some family or friends and do it. You wont be disappointed. Thanks GCH and Jono for a great day. Kura
Detailed Reviews: Reviews order informed by descriptiveness of user-identified themes such as cleanliness, atmosphere, general tips and location information.
We perform checks on reviews.
Tripadvisor’s approach to reviews
Before posting, each Tripadvisor review goes through an automated tracking system, which collects information, answering the following questions: how, what, where and when. If the system detects something that potentially contradicts our community guidelines, the review is not published.
When the system detects a problem, a review may be automatically rejected, sent to the reviewer for validation, or manually reviewed by our team of content specialists, who work 24/7 to maintain the quality of the reviews on our site.
Our team checks each review posted on the site disputed by our community as not meeting our community guidelines.
Learn more about our review moderation.
Dec 2018 • Friends
Our Fantastic pilot Jono took us to Akaroa for a special day. Viewed the city, Brighton beach, Sumner, Port hills beautiful coast line and into Akaroa harbour. There were 6 of us and we all had good views. Thanks for a great day GCH. Awesome fun.
Written 13 December 2018
This review is the subjective opinion of a Tripadvisor member and not of Tripadvisor LLC. Tripadvisor performs checks on reviews as part of our industry-leading trust & safety standards. Read our transparency report to learn more.
Hello and thank you very much for your lovely review of your recent helicopter trip with Garden City Helicopters. Akaroa and Banks Peninsula is such as stunning area and really needs to be seen from above to be appreciated. We are so thrilled you enjoyed the experience and hope to see you flying with us again sometime soon.
Written 28 December 2018
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of Tripadvisor LLC.