• Learn the ancient knitting way of “Kopaneli”
• Visit the Ottoman fortress of Aptera
• Visit the folklore museum of Apokoronas
• Explore the villages of Apokoronas through amazing nature routes
• Visit a Cheese factory and taste the local dairy products
• Unique hidden monasteries and churches
• Walking in the fields and the pure nature
• Visit a “Raki” distillery and discover the secrets of the local spirits
• Learn about the Cretan way of life – live like a Cretan
• Lunch at a traditional “Kafeneio” with the locals
• Chauffeured private tour ensures a more relaxing and personal experience
• Discover the history and mythology of Crete
This is a tour of a unique area of Apokoronas, the East part of Chania Region. Heading to Apokoronas one of the first villages is Aptera. We will visit the Ottoman fortress and get ready for the breathtaking view of Souda bay and the valley of the province. Stand there and admire the 360ο view from this high point. Following a route through the nature and traditional Cretan villages like Stylos and Armenoi and we will arrive in Gavalochori village and visit the folklore museum of Apokoronas, 7 rooms of Cretan tradition and unique handmade knitting artworks. An old lady will show us the mind-blowing knitting technique of “Kopaneli”.
We will pass through Kalives village and then “Xirosterni” to visit the local family “Raki” destillery. You will have the chancce to learn, and if you are lucky, to see the whole Raki production and taste of course this delicious Cretan spirit. Leaving Xirosterni, in a few minutes you will be sitting by the river of Vrises village enjoying a cup of Greek coffee and admire the endless beauty of nature. Then we will see an old olive mill and the way of olive oil-making in the past. The village of Emprosneros is following and the ruins of Alidakis, the Ottoman Comander of Apokoronas, tower. We also visit the hidden church of St. Antony, built on the rock. The experience of Cretan cheese-making process follows.. We visit a cheese factory and taste the local “Graviera” “Mizithra” or “Anthotiros” cheese varieties. After that we will visit also Vafes, Vatoudiatis or Alikampos (depends on the season).
After that we will have lunch in a traditional “kafeneio” in Fres village, speaking with the locals and learning many things about the countryside way of life. You will have the chance to see the pure beauty and feel the real Crete around you. Apokoronas is one of the most historical places in Crete because of its people. You will definitely understand that while talking with them and hearing their stories. Apokoronas is waiting to reveal his secrets a whole place is ready to be explored by you!